Maxon AD-900 vs. AD-999

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gnugear, Jul 31, 2008.

1. gnugear

gnugear Member

Rather than a "this one is better than that one debate", what are subjective differences between the two. I've played the 999 but I'm wondering what's different with the 900. Also, how do they compare to the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay? The MP sounds similar in the clips I've heard.

2. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I've never played the AD-900, but from all the clips I've heard it sounds cleaner and more hi-fi than the 999 which is dirtier sounding on the repeats. I bought the 999 based on clips I heard, and it sounds just the same to me in person. I love the dirtier repeats, but some don't.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've owned both at the same time, and the AD999 is actually brighter and clearer to my ears. The AD900 is warmer sounding and does the ambient delay thing much better than the AD999.

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I've had both at the same time:

AD-900
    -darker/warmer
    -cleaner
    -smokey, ambient

AD-999
    -brighter
    -dirtier/grungier
    -lower-fi, spacier

The 900 sounds more like the old Ibanez delays, whereas the 999 would be brighter like a SAD-1 or DM-2.

5. jda

jda Member

I found that the 999 has some odd distortion with humbuckers that I did not care for. I went back to a 900, and I am a big fan.

6. hbentley

hbentley Member

i have never ab'd them, but i've owned both and prefer the 900. it sounds warmer and more natural to my ears.

7. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

I have AD 999 and just love it.

8. leumasjames

leumasjames Member

The AD-900 is my favorite analog delay. I've never A/B'd it with a 999, so I can't give you the best comparison, but the AD-900 runs off of a 12 volt PS which should give you more headroom. The oscillation is beautiful and if you mod it to control the knobs with expression pedals it amazing.

The 999 has longer delay time, but uses different bucket brigade chips. The ones used in the 900 have been discontinued, but from what I've heard from others the 999 sounds very close.

As far as comparing the 900 to the DBD...the Maxon is analog and the DBD is digital. The DBD does a great tape delay emulation, but at longer delay settings, there was noticeable white noise. I bought one when it first came out, so maybe it has been improved. The Maxon has no noticeable noise, even at the max delay settings, and stays quite clear for an analog delay.

The question for you is do you want a great tape delay emulator or a straight up analog delay. The definitely have a different sound to them. If you have the funds, I would also check into the Moog delay. It is similar to the AD900, but has an effects loop, expression pedal inputs, and also has CV capabilities. I would say it is a little darker than the AD900, but yet another beautiful sounding delay with so much versatility. Too many choices...I've heard nothing but good things about the Malekko bright delay also. Another alternative in a smaller box with exp control for feedback if I'm not mistaken. Supposedly it is similar to the AD900...

9. zhivago

zhivago Member

the AD900 has more headroom, so it was a no-brainer for me, as I use boosts in front of it...I never compared it to the 999, but I'd think that it would have less headroom and distort more, which would be useless to me.

the AD900 has been my main delay for 5 years or so.

10. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I believe Delay units should be run thru an amps effects loop if possible to get the true goods a high quality delay has to offer. As far as comparisons, looks like the differences are covered above. Bottom line is if you want a delay that's more obtrusive in the mix, go with the 999, If (Like me) you like a delay that's sit's back in the mix and is more of an ambient effect ie, almost a Reverb type of effect, I highly recomend going with the 900 over either of the other two. It's really just a matter of taste/need since they are both great delays..

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

What are the delay time differences again?

900=600ms
    999=900ms

Is that right?

12. cbpickin

yep.

13. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

If the 900 was still being made and the 999 discontinued the 900 would be better.

Instant TGP mentality-and yes I have fallen victim a few times too! Not a put down at all, so please no one take it that way!

14. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Never owned a 999, but have owned 4 or maybe 5 different 900s. Each one has been different, all good, but different, e.g. some have been "hotter" and therefore played with distortion differently as has been stated, some have been not so "hot" and the repeats are a bit cleaner.

If you can find a 900...get it. If you can't, a CMATmods Deeelay is a fantastic little pedal at a great price. Different stuff, but you still get that sweet analog delay sound with a small footprint and 9V power.

15. Windup 43

As said in my earlier post, I haven't tried the 900 but I have owned an old 80's Ibanez and this comparison is pretty spot on. I have to say though, that the 999 still sounds very warm to my ears although it is brighter.

16. cbpickin

:confused:
    I've read this three times and I still don't get what your saying. Most people are saying the 900 is better and it is not still being made, so I guess I'm missing your point.

17. Windup 43

I think what he meant to say is that if the 999 was discontinued, it would be considered better because of its unavailable status as the 900 is now. Still, its an apples and oranges things to me really- if I had wanted the darker, less dirty Ibanezesque delay sound again I would have bought the 900. As it is, I love the 999 and there are certainly more than a few fans on this forum- "better" is highly subjective of course, so as always ymmv...

18. Malekko

Malekko Member

I dont think that's the case in this point, although i would agree with you that a lot of people think their discontinued pedal is "better". Back to the 900 VS 999. They are completely different pedals..and i think anyone that has played them side by side would agree the AD900 is WAY better sounding. The repeats on the 999 are a bunch more distorted than the 900.. the buffer in the 900 is awesome too. Easily one of the best pedal delays ever made!

19. gururyan

gururyan Member

I had the AD-900 for years, loved the buffer/switch. It was a great sounding delay, but I need the assistance of tap tempo. I use the Nova now and think the sale of my 900 was fine. No regrets.

20. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I've got three of the AD900's and the AD999, I too like the AD900 better. To me it's cleaner (better headroom), and is warmer sounding. The AD900 was one of those pedals that within 30 seconds I knew it was a keeper. The AD999, did what it says in regards to the additional delay time, but it doesn't have the mojo of the AD900 IMO.

TheGrooveking