• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Maxon AD999 problem

pennylink

I bought a second hand (i.e. no warranty) AD999 a few months ago. Love how it sounded at first but while it boosted volume ever so slightly, lately there's been a slight drop in volume when engaged and there's noise in the repeats now. Sort of a 'white noise' sound that is most noticeable when playing the heavier strings, although I can hear it on the lighter strings too. When not playing, but with the pedal on, there's no noise.

I've tried different 9V supplies, different cables, etc. but it doesn't make any difference. I have a Skreddy Echo on the same board and all my other pedals also sounds perfect.

Has anybody else encountered this? Any ideas what the problem might be? Is it worth the trouble to get it looked at or should I just bite the bullet and ditch it?

analogmike

Platinum Supporting Member
Some white noise is always there in an analog delay. Have you changed your setup? Maybe you are running it in a different position, that would change the level and amount of noise (running distortion after it, or INTO a distorted amp will make an analog delay sound a lot noisier).

pennylink

Thank you, Mike. No, no changes at all in my setup. Even run as the only pedal between (any) guitar and (any) amp it has gotten noticeably noisier and it seems to be getting worse by the day...

If you don't have an isloated power supply (ie PP2+, Cioks, etc) that'd be the first place i'd look as I had terrible noise issues for years until I switched a PP2+. If that doesn't work look into higher quality patch cables?

tapehead

Have you changed power supplies? Maybe it's time...

Edit: A nod to great lemon heads thinking alike:beer

pennylink

If you don't have an isloated power supply (ie PP2+, Cioks, etc) that'd be the first place i'd look as I had terrible noise issues for years until I switched a PP2+. If that doesn't work look into higher quality patch cables?
Have you changed power supplies? Maybe it's time...

Edit: A nod to great lemon heads thinking alike:beer
I'm using a PP2+ and Evidence Audio patch cables w/pancake plugs. Even using it off the board, as the only pedal between guitar and amp, it still has the same noise problem...

pennylink

I finally got to the bottom of the noise problem with my Maxon AD999.

I decided to take it in for repair and after a week got a call that I could pick it up, but that they hadn't found any fault and that it was working to spec. I tried it out in the shop and sure enough, there was no noise. After getting home I plugged it back into my board and lo and behold... no noise whatsoever.

This is what I think happened: After I had taken the pedal for service I noticed that the power adapter for my computer printer had gone bad. I replaced it before bringing the pedal back home. I am 99% sure this was causing the noise (my board and PP2+ run off the same electrical circuit as the printer). Strange that no other pedals had gotten noisy, but maybe there's something particular to the AD999's circuit that's more sensitive to this? Anyway, noise problem solved. Yey!

Trending Topics