Maxon AF-9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TroyHamilton, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Pro's/Con's?

I know 'flexibility' isn't really the right question when it comes to an auto-filter... but is it versatile within it's own little world of sound?

Warm sounding?

2. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Awesome pedal. Although currently not on my board, I did the auto filter/envelope filter thing for a looong time (much Jerry & much funk).

The Maxon AF-9 kicks ass. It is pretty much a Mutron in a smaller box. Same control set, same sort of deal.

At the time, to my ears, it sounded and reacted leagues better than the EH Q-tron and any Boss auto wah or envelope filter.

The AF-9 does boost the signal a tiny tiny bit. And the slider controls would be much better if they were knobs, but the chewy, synth-y sound is really really good. And it's true bypass. Maxon quality, although mass produced, it waaaaay above average. One of the best pedals for what it does, without a doubt.

3. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

check out the pigtronix EP-1 its ultra tweakable and has multiple great sounds

4. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq Member

I only have a few Ibanez AF-201's, the AF-9's should be improved versions of thse.

They have a lot of options, more than most other envelope filters: 3 types of filters, sweeping up/down and a resonance control,...

So it's definately versatile...

5. TroyHamilton

Cool... thanks guys.

Since I was a kid I've had this infatuation with the tone in the solo in the pop song 'what I am' by eddie brickell. (Lame I know, but it's always made me smile.) When this pedal was offered to me in a trade I flashed back to that and thought it might be interesting.

6. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Hey man, "What I Am" is a great song. :AOK

The guitarist used an 80's Boss T-Wah on that track, not sure which model (there are two). I have an old one and it sounds great. It is less "synth-y" and more "wah"-y than the Maxon AF-9 (which is more Mutron III than auto-wah). When I heard the AF-9, it was nastier & deeper (in a good way), so I replaced the T-Wah. I still have it though, it too is a great pedal, just a different sound. It tracks, sounds & behaves nicely. ;)

7. TroyHamilton

cool... thanks for the info. I always wondered exactly what pedal he used. maybe if I ever see one of those t-wah's go for a reasonable price i'll add it to the pedal collection as well. ;)

8. foll

foll Member

Just got my ibanez AF9 last night, basically the same pedal with different name, and it was the best $150 I've spent in years.
    I love the down mode and hi-pass sound in it, and I used to hate those sounds. Great pedal

9. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've tried auto filters several times and the AF9 is the only one i thought sounded really, really good. i probably wouldn't use auto filter much in the songs my band writes, but would really like to have an AF9 just for some ear-candy sounds. i was really impressed by the AF9's versatility and tones...