Maxon buffers, any good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gentlemen,

I may be purchasing a Maxon CS505-chorus. I read that the pedal is not true bypass. Is this true? Is the built in buffer any good? Will it harm my signal significantly when turned off?

I'm not too worried about buffers as long as they are quality buffers. Thanks!

Best,

Tom

2. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Maxon buffers are class.
    Put it this way....my amps sound BETTER with my maxon ph350 in the chain than out.Its like lifting a blanket of the tone.

3. jero

jero Member

The buffer in my Maxon AD80 is very ok, I don't know whether they put the same buffer in all of their pedals however.

4. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I don't know if the buffers are the same in all Maxon pedals, but all my Maxon peds have better buffers than all my Boss pedals....

FWIW....

5. msp

msp Member

agreed its probably not as goog as the buffer in...lets say the klon cent or pete cornish stuff

but much higher quality buffers than boss ibanez type stuff

6. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Some amps just react differently on pedals, especially at 9v, some impedance stuff in the input??
    When I use my Hiwatt I have no troubles, using some Fender amps I loose top, same with some Marshalls, if I use my normal 12v pedals no trouble?
    Hehe I gotta dig into this.
    Never had a bad Ibanez buffer by the way, always kept the sound fresh and solid.

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

The Maxon buffer in the AD-999 is VERY similar IMO to the KLON line out buffer.

8. msp

msp Member

yeah i guess ibanez buffer would be damn close to maxon buffers huh? it never bothered me that the maxon ph350 isn't true bypassed.....i tested it with my loooper pedal to see if there was much an impact and i honestly could "hardly" tell any difference... i have never owned a klon but i guess i fell victim to the hype that the buffer in that thing is top notch........i have read the review out there that compares the klon and a maxon overdrive and the maxon won...so maybee the klon buffer isn't all that special

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Thanks for the answers. It should be ok then? Yep, I thought Maxon was quality stuff...

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Go for it, a buffer could only do you good since you only have one on your board right now.