Maxon CP-9 vs CP101

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Feb 7, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Anyone had experience with either of these? There are cp101's for sale, and at reasonable prices. I can't seem to find any used cp-9 though, but I am willing to wait.

2. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

cp101 changes the tone more, more like a dynacomp.... pumps much sooner, changes high end.

CP-9 pro+ can get both subtler and more extreme.

3. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have the CP101 and it is very transparent, doesn't affect my tone at all including high end which is very nicely preserved. Not a ton of squash, but certainly enough for my needs- nothing at all like a Dynacomp. Haven't tried the the CP-9. Love the CP101, highly recommended...

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just got a CP9 Pro+ and I love it! IMHO, it's one of the most useful guitar compressors available.

IMO, the problem most people have with compressors, stems from the fact that the ratios are fixed in most of the available pedals, and they are set quite high - higher than I personally would ever use in a mix. Being able to set the Threshold and Ratio lets you dial in exactly what level of compression you want/need, and when it will kick in - that makes a huge difference, and it makes this unit extremely flexible. It sounds and works like compressors you would use when mixing. It's also a great clean boost, and with that, it adds a nice bit of presence.

Highly recommended. :AOK

5. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

+1. The CP101 doesn't sound like a Dyna Comp at all to me. It's a great comp for the money and very useable.

6. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

This is definitely the case in my experience. Like what Macaroni said: controlling the threshold and ratio, the amount of squash control is drastically improved. Though the CP101 is definitely "clearer" (my word for ya'lls "transparent") than the many ross comps I've used, the CP9 Pro + is even more clear, but still very musical and not sterile (i'm serious).

I think the main reason why the CP9 Pro+s aren't showing up on the used market because they're hard to get new anyway ($260 a pop) and Maxon resale values tend to be a lot lower than the store price, so guys aren't willing to loose money that way.

Still, if you find a CP9 Pro for a fair price, it's definite worth a try.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Thanks for the replies. I will wait and see what I can find within the next few weeks.

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

A friend of mine snagged one for $150 at the end of the NAMM show, and I got a near new one on eBay the next day for $140 shipped. There was one that just sold on eBay for $165. Keep watching. You can get them new on eBay for around $230.

9. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Any info about the ibanez cp9's?

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Mac:
    How does the CP9 compare to the TonePress? I like the sustain of the TP, but the pump and loss of attack keeps pushing it back to storage. Any thoughts?
    -bk

11. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm having the same issue with the tp, it kills my highs.

It's either the cp101, cp9, or cp9+.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Nrvana:
    In all fairness to Dave's circuit, it might be your rig, as it might be my rig that makes the TP rob the highs. Per Dave B., the TP is voiced to be flat in response.

Besides loss of highs, the loss of pick attack (the Blend knob doesn't get me there) and the pumping on held chords, make me less than happy with the TP (or how it interacts wtih my rig). However, it's the best I've tried yet! Haven't tried the CP9 tho - might be a good one to check out.

13. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    my experiences with the CP101 are different. i find it doesn't change the high-end at all. in fact, i feel it adds kind of a "sparkle" that i really like. i don't get any of the pumping until 2 or 3o'clock...

i'd recommend getting a cp101 just to try as they're often very reasonably priced when you find them used. i think i got mine for $75 a couple of years ago.

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hey Billy... I had a Tone Press and I liked it but not quite enough, for the same reasons you stated. I'm spoiled by how compressors work with mixing, so I gravitate towards a pedal that will give me that control. And since the CP9 Pro+ uses the actual dbx circuit, the sound quality is very high. I'm really enjoying using it as a slight boost for OD pedals too. Highly recommended.

There is a powering issue that everyone should be aware of, regarding the Maxon 9 Series Pro+ pedals.

I use a Pedal Power 2+ and I have a daisy chain hanging off my StroboStomp, and it feeds my 3 V-Stack pedals (6ma each), as well as the Maxon. The SS uses outlet #6 which is 200ma, and the SS only needs 80ma. The Maxon uses 25ma and it all works fine. So I tried powering the Maxon directly with my PP2+ and it wouldn't work. It works off the daisy chain connected to the PP2+, but not directly from one of the 100ma outlets.

I eMailed Godlyke - Maxon distributors - and they said it was a Voodoo Lab PP2+ issue.

Here's what Voodoo Lab Tech Support just sent me...

Voodoo Lab does not claim compatibility between our Pedal Power 2 Plus unit and the Maxon Pro+ series of pedals. We tested one here at our facilities and discovered that the Maxon Pro+ pedals do not work consistently with the Pedal Power 2 Plus. The unique voltage doubling circuit employed in these pedals draws a very large amount of current at startup, often more than is available from any of the outputs of our Pedal Power 2 Plus. After that initial startup, the pedal draws much less current and is able to be powered from outputs 5 or 6 with the DIP switch set to the normal position. Because of that high initial current draw, the pedal may not start up correctly whenever the rig is powered up. You would have to check the pedal every time. If it did not come on at system power up you would need to pull its power cable and re-connect it as a sort of reset.

The alternative is to power these pedals with a wall wort power supply from the Courtesy AC Outlet on the back of the Pedal Power 2 Plus.

So there you have it. Since it works fine on my daisy chain, I'll just leave it like that.

This compressor can do anything the other pedals do, and it does things the others can't - things that are very useful to guitarists.

15. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

+1. I liked the CP101 a lot better than the TP as well.

16. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I might just get the cp101 and see how that works for me. It's about $70 less than the tone press too, which means I could get a verbzilla. Uh oh!

17. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have both the CP9 Pro and the CP101, I prefer the CP101, to me the CP101 is warmer and it doesn't mess with your high end.

TheGrooveking

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the feekback Mac and Iam. I wonder why the CP9 will only run off the daisy chain when there is an initial current draw on startup - weird!

Dont' want to re-direct this thread, but I have more questions for you guys.

Does the CP9 provide some "bloom" on held chords and does it pump? I find that Ross-based circuits tend to provide better bloom, but do so with that annoying pump. Also, can you actually "preserve" the note attack while getting enough compression to provide some bloom? This is where the TP, even with the Blend control, just doesn't work for me.

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

20. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Billy... Pumping typically occurs when you use very high ratios with a low Threshold, where the signal is constantly being squashed heavily as the dynamics invoke the compression.

That's the beauty of the CP9 - because you can set the Threshold & Ratio, you can control those unwanted artifacts, or invoke them if you want that effect.

When mixing instruments, eg: guitar, I typically use very low ratios, ie: 2:1 - 4:1, and set the Threshold so that everything sounds as natural as possible - just more up front and present.

I have no idea why the designers of these compressor pedals chose such high ratios and other strange settings. No wonder so many people can't bond with them - me included.

Great tones and playing Joseph! How about some clips with your new GS Red?