Maxon CP9 power issues,

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kurt1981, Aug 24, 2008.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey guys, just picked up a cp9 pro compressor from maxon's 9 series. I tried to power it up with my pedal power, and it doesn't seem to want to work. With a battery in the pedal, it works fine, but not with the voodoo lab. I tried swapping cables, and it worked with any other FX I tried, but not with the cp9. Could there be some issue that I'm missing here?
    Thanks,
    Kurt

2. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

Plug it in on one of the higher current outputs, five or six I believe. You might have to flip the DIP switch. Check your manual first.

Worked for my OSD-9.

mn

3. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Send a PM to our tgp member "macaroni". He's got a CP9 Pro+ and has solved that issue. He got the rap from Maxon as to why it doesn't work with the PP-2. It has something to do with the amount of power the Maxon needs to see on power-up only. I think Ron (macaroni) solved it by putting the Maxon in a One Spot type chain. Doesn't make sense intuitively, but works.

Macaroni posted this info here on one or more of the compressor threads in the past six months. You could also check all posts by macaroni to find it.

Great compressor by the way. I bought one on the high reviews here. I have not yet tried to power it with my PP-2.

Cheers,

James

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Hey, you will need to run the run the barrel connector into another pedal that has a power out (TU-2 or similar). I guess the maxon takes more than 9v on startup, but only uses 9v once powered...

I ran a power cable out of my tu2 into the maxon and everything worked fine.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

James is correct. I eMailed Voodoo Labs about this issue. Here's what Voodoo Lab sent me...

Voodoo Lab does not claim compatibility between our Pedal Power 2 Plus unit and the Maxon Pro+ series of pedals. We tested one here at our facilities and discovered that the Maxon Pro+ pedals do not work consistently with the Pedal Power 2 Plus.

The unique voltage doubling circuit employed in these pedals draws a very large amount of current at startup, often more than is available from any of the outputs of our Pedal Power 2 Plus. After that initial startup, the pedal draws much less current and is able to be powered from outputs 5 or 6 with the DIP switch set to the normal position.

Because of that high initial current draw, the pedal may not start up correctly whenever the rig is powered up. You would have to check the pedal every time. If it did not come on at system power up you would need to pull its power cable and re-connect it as a sort of reset.

The alternative is to power these pedals with a wall wort power supply from the Courtesy AC Outlet on the back of the Pedal Power 2 Plus.

I have a PP2+ and I use outlet #6 (200ma) to power my StroboStomp. I daisy chain from the SS and pass power to 2 V-Stack pedals and the CP9. It works like that, but not directly off of the PP2+ outlets. Go figure.

6. kurt1981

Thanks guys, but my line 5 pedals currently take up the 5 and 6 slots on the PP2, so the maxon will be going back. I thought the PP2 solved those annoying power issues, but I guess there're still some bugs to be worked out. It's a shame, it seemed like a good comp.
    Thanks to you guys for once again providing some great help, I sincerely appreciate it,
    Kurt

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The PP2+ 'addressed' those issues by providing outlets 5 & 6 @ 200 ma. There are no bugs - they just decided to offer 2 of those channels instead of more. That's a product design decision to address a very broad market.

Did you at least try it?

8. kurt1981

As I mentioned, I did try it, and it works, but those outlets are taken up by my line6 pedals, both of which cannot run on any other outlets on the PP2. I wasn't trying to start anything, I just wish allthe outlets had a bit more available juice, that's all. you can't have everything, I realize this, so I just gotta live with it. Maybe I'll try and figure something out,
    Kurt