• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Maxon DB-10 Bual Booster...anyone using one in ther rig?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
If so, how? What amp and how are you routing it? Can you hear a difference between the two boosts? Is it worth the cost to you for such a seemingly simple pedal? And how's the build quality? Any other thoughts? I'd love to hear what TGP thinks of this boost because I can't get my hands on one, but it seems like a perfect pedal for my rig....I'd love to hear your user reviews since not much is out there in my internet searches.
Thanks,
Barnzy

JimHalinda

I have one on my pedalboard... I use the 'vintage' channel in front of my overdrive and the 'clean' channel post-overdrive. That way I can hit both switches at once for a solo, and get a gain boost and a volume boost simultaneously.

Build quality is excellent, feels just like any MXR pedal that I've used.

I haven't really done a serious comparison between the sound of the two boosts... when used without overdrive, the vintage side seems to have a bit more color to it, i.e. it changes the tone to be a bit more midrangey, to my ears. The clean side sounds more neutral.

It's very nice to have this in such a compact package. The only thing I would warn you about is, depending on what kind of shoes you are wearing, it can be harder than you think to hit both switches cleanly. I often end up activating only one side or the other when I wanted both. Then a bit of tap dancing follows as I try to fix it (when I should be concentrating on my playing!)

Regards,

Jim

JimHalinda

Oh by the way, my signal path (ignoring some other effects) is:

Vintage boost -> Dr. Scientist The Elements (OD/Dist) -> Ethos Overdrive -> Clean boost -> direct to PA.

I use the Ethos OD channel for medium gain and the Elements for high gain. I can goose either with the Vintage boost, and then the Clean boost raises my volume for solos.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Jim...you answered alot of my questions. I actually want to use it for a stereo boost pedal with a simple "single stomp" to kick both my amps into upgear. I think this is the best contender out there for this purpose. I really like how the two boosts are different because I have one amp that is brighter and one that is not...I can pick the signal route I need....

JimHalinda

That's an interesting use for it!

Hopefully the two sides match your amps the way you want. If not, you could always compensate with an EQ pedal on one or both sides as needed.

DaveKS

If you can deal with the size you really won't find a better dual/stereo boost than this. That's what I use it most for, 1in/2out real tube boost with sep drive/vol controls for each side.

I just run a couple of old RCA 12au7 cleartop in it. You san even run different tubes on each side for slightly different flavors. 12au7 and 12ay7 are this pedals bread and butter. Dump the stock 12ax7wb, they sound awful. You can get RCA cleartop or Westinghouse 12au7 for $7-18 ANOS on eBay. Stack your other OD in front of it and when you kick it on you'll get some glorious OD tones, it's great all on its own as well.

Sparkfriction

Oh by the way, my signal path (ignoring some other effects) is:

Vintage boost -> Dr. Scientist The Elements (OD/Dist) -> Ethos Overdrive -> Clean boost -> direct to PA.

I use the Ethos OD channel for medium gain and the Elements for high gain. I can goose either with the Vintage boost, and then the Clean boost raises my volume for solos.
thats intresting, what do you use as a cabsim? i am using my demonizer via the direct out into p.a. sometimes. Also at home for recording...