Maxon/Ibanez SD-9 new vs. vintage?

telewacker

Supporting Member
I love my SD-9. I'm not sure when it was made, but I'm curious if there is any difference between older and newer models and what people prefer. This is for the stock pedal.

nitefly7

*subscribed*

I'm really interested in this too, especially the new Ibby SD-9m (because it seems like a great deal, as it's cheaper than the Maxon one)

I'm getting my (3rd?) 2nd hand SD9 next week, I just keep coming back to it.
Partially because of the Landau-vibe, and mostly because it is one of the better affordable 'high gain' pedals I've come across that works with just about any amp.
The Suhr Riot is a winner too, but I could buy like 2 SD-9's for that price..

I've had the older Ibanez (which was a bit fizzy, and had this 'ticking clock'-problem with the tone-pot) and the stock Maxon. Because of the fizzyness, I liked the Maxon stock better, though I could've had a problem with that Ibanez.
Tony Spinner used the Ibanez model I seem to remember.

check out Analogman's site for more info on SD-9 types http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm#sd9

Whalestone

According to Stinkfoot, post early 2004 Maxon SD-9 reissues feature true bypass; earlier units did not, instead utilizing a bypass system known as hardwire bypass although referred to as true bypass by Maxon.
The Ibanez SD9 of course featured their buffered bypass Q-1 switching system.

telewacker

Supporting Member
According to Stinkfoot, post early 2004 Maxon SD-9 reissues feature true bypass; earlier units did not, instead utilizing a bypass system known as hardwire bypass although referred to as true bypass by Maxon.
The Ibanez SD9 of course featured their buffered bypass Q-1 switching system.
What about the circuit other than the bypass, say 80s vs. a new one? I have mine in a looper switcher...bypass type is a non-issue.

analogmike

Gold Supporting Member
Vendor
Hey Paul!

All Ibanez and Maxon SD-9 Circuits are the same other than switching.

analogmike

Gold Supporting Member
Vendor
Heya Mike,

did you audition the new Ibanez SD9m ('mod' pedal, possibly inspired by your AM-modded version?) as well?
I have not seen that. Boss has included several of our mods in their pedals (DS1, TR2) but I have not seen Maxon or Ibanez do that.

BTW the Maxon does not have the switching FETs that the Ibanez has, so the sound is a little clearer/less soft.

Tbone135

This thread reminded me that I have an old SD-9 boxed away, I gotta go dig this thing out now.

Eliguitar

Supporting Member
Mike, I have 2 Maxon SD9s modded by you, a silver and a super with the mid knob/bob boost that I love. I also have the new Ibanez SD9M Ive been using lately. I really like the mid and gain switches on the Ibanez, especially how it adds more gain which is great for solos however the tone knob is still useless and fizzy if it goes past 8:00. Also when you have the gain switch on for more gain, the pedal loses a lot of bottom.
Would you be able to add your magic to it?

Eliguitar

Supporting Member
It is true bypass. I sent an email to analog mike with pics of the board but he said its very different from the maxon so he won't be able to work on it.

noise'n'hum

I had old SD-01, Japanese market version and tried it against previous version of SD-9 with true bypass. I liked 01 way more and then seller said that you have to get Analogman modded SD-9 to get the same tone as vintage one. I checked PCB of 01 and 9 and found that vintage one was built with better quality parts, Nichicon caps etc.

bobotwt

Supporting Member
It is true bypass. I sent an email to analog mike with pics of the board but he said its very different from the maxon so he won't be able to work on it.
So did Mike actually say the Ibanez SD9M is True Bypass? I cant find anything reliable about whether it is or not.

Josh

alp

What is the current status for this comparison? Are new ibanez SD9Ms same as the old Ibanez or new Maxon SD9s?

Pablomago

I've played through a vintage Ibanez and own a Maxon. The Maxon delivers the goods for me. I think of the SD-9 as the "Instant Classic Rock" pedal. Maybe it's just me, but I hear so many '70's rock guitar tones in it that it isn't funny.

Frosted Glass

I have one from 82. It’s killler. Has a very different character depending on whether you’re feeding it a hot signal (hbs) - where it’s 80s rock in a box - or SCs where it’s got more of an indie overdrive kind of flavour. What’s great is if you boost it with a TS9 you can get those 80s hard rock tones with your SC

Trending Topics