Maxon, Keeley, Analogman TS-9/808 vs. GSR?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iim7v7im7, May 25, 2008.

1. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I currently have a single OD pedal, a jettergear GSR (which I really like). I have been considering adding a TS-9 type pedal based on a friends recommendation. I play through a single channel deluxe reverb style amp (allen accomplice) with effects up front (no effects loop). I enjoy using a delay when playing which sort of promotes the use of pedals.

For bluesy type distortion, I seem to recall many of the classic tones came from this style of pedal. I am looking for a classic blues tone with my Nocaster and my other Tele with P-90s.

QUESTIONS:

How do TS-9/808 style pedals differ in tone from the GSR (or not?)?

The GSR is somewhat touch sensitive (which I like) are TS-9/808s?

Between Ibanez and Maxon and the two aftermarket mod companies (Keeley and Analogman) who should I go with and why?

If I buy one, should I place it before or after the GSR (Currently I have a Barber Tonepress in front of the GSR)?

I s there another pedal I should be considering (I am open, I have just alsways heard about these?)

Thanks Very Much!

Bob
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. loiking

loiking Member

3. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

they are pretty different pedals, both lowish gain... i have both on my board... i run the ts9 before the gsr (which is also after the tone press)

the gsr is a little smoother with the dumble like chirp, whereas the ts9 is your straight up mid hump blues box made famous by just about everybody.. but most notably SRV...

4. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Thanks...So a hump in the midrange is the key difference? Is it a touch sensitive pedal like the GSR? Additionally, does anyone run compression after distortion to improve touch sensitivity? What are th tonal differences between Analogman or Keeley? I assume they both can make bypasses.

:)

5. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

i was told on here the other day that my ts9 mod+ is actually not TB like i thought, but if you check the AM and Keeley sites they detail exactly what they do to the pedals...

i find with my ts pedals they're not as touch sensitive as fuzzes and octave pedals, more like running straight into your amp with a bit more dirt...

the upshot is that i would definitely recommend one to you as they are an industry standard... if you're not keen on it you can always bump it on the emporium... heck if you bought an AM one and didnt like it heck i'd probably take it off your hands :)

I definitely prefer to run comp before dist btw...

6. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Thanks to all for input.

I ordered an Maxon OD-9 with an Analogman Silver Mod.

:)

Bob