Maxon OD-820........

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Telebluze, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

I know it's all a matter of taste/preference....but what do you think about the OD-820.....I love my Analogman TS-9......but want something that has a little more gain available for certain situations.....don't want a distortion pedal though......I've got a Menatone KOTB and it's not really doin' for me.......I was wondering what you guys think....open to other suggestions as well.......BTW, I've got a Klon and love it too. Thx.

Peace,
    Ken

2. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I just sold my Keeley modded TS9 and picked up an Maxon OD-820. I thought the OD-820 was more transparent with more gain on tap. Everybody hears different things but overall I just prefer the tone of the Maxon. It's also a great match for my 59 Bassman LTD.

3. Tomo

Tomo Member

It's simple yet it got enough gain. I like the Maxon OD-820.

Tomo

4. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

im working on a couple records right now and auditioned a bunch of OD/Distortion pedals... the OCD and Maxon OD820 are making the cut on this first record. the OD820 beat out a Red Snapper and BB Preamp..

5. fatback

fatback Member

Another thumbs-up here. It's a quality pedal. The fact that it runs at a higher voltage than standard TS pedals gives it some added headroom and oomph.

6. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i thought the od820 was the best sounding tube screamer type pedal i've heard. however after doing a side by side with many tube screamer types, i chose the barber direct drive because it was just a fraction away from the 820 sonically, yet half the price.

i also have a bb preamp coming. had the ac for a while and it was cool, but i need to replace my unreliable tonebone classic with something more aggro than the ac.

7. I've had the OD820 for almost 2 years now.
    I like it, it has a smooth tone to it, BUT have had some problems with it. First off, it does not have complete silent switching........at least mine doesnt.
    There is always a noticable static/click type sound when i turn it on. And the drive knob has a scratchy pot. And i know the clicking sound can be because of the true bypass switching, but i have other true bypass pedals that dont do that.
    Also, sometimes i'll turn it off, but the LED light will still be on even though the effect is off. Those two things irritate me, so i sent it to Godlyke, and they could not find anything wrong. Very frustrating.
    The people at Godlyke were cool and helpful, but apparently they couldnt get the pedal to do the things it did to me, so it was never fixed.
    Now i just alternate between using the OD820 and a TS9. Currently, my trusty TS9 has replaced it for the time being.
    My favorite overdrive though is the Menatone Red Snapper.
    Very versatile, nice bass, nice sparkle/presence and a better clean boost than the OD820 in my opinion. Overall, just more versatile and richer and more complex sounding than the OD820.
    Dont get me wrong, the OD820 IS a very good pedal, but those problems i've mentioned have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Luke

8. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

If you haven't tried it as a clean boost do it. Very nice with the gain all the way down and volume full up. One of the better clean boosts I've tried.

9. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I've got an OD820 that I keep trying to put in my chain and it keeps getting bumped. The problem is I have a dozen modded ts-9 pedals with different op-amps, different diodes setups etc. and most of them sound thicker and more rounded than the 820 with my amp ('80 Marshall JMP). The 820 has a cool gain structure that I like better than most but overall sounds a tad thinner to me.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I've had a OD-820 for about five or six years.......I did a side by side comparison with a Keeley modded TS to see which I preferred, and the Maxon won. The Maxon has a bit better note articulation, and is a bit more open as the gain is increased....that being said, the two sounded very similar, and I would probably be happy with either for that particular sound.

I think I'm going to go a different direction and get away from the TS types so I may sell the Maxon to fund that (thinking more Voxish) - - but it does work quite well as a clean boost, too. Great pedal to have onboard. Every time I get ready to sell it, I end up playing it in a band situation and remembering why I like it so much - - it gets through the mix and does it thing supurbly.

BTW.....mine switches silently, no problems.

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

the 820 is nice, but it is NOT high gain

12. Rex Nomad.........i know exactly what you mean regarding the "thinness" sound of the OD820.

13. Unadan

Unadan Member

What he said - I've found it sounds great as a boost after my WFR reissue with the drive at 0, tone at 2 and level at 3:00 or full up.

14. Duesenbert

Duesenbert Member

Depends on your style I suppose, but I never get my OD820's gain above 12:00.
    Its headroom and overall fullness keep it on my board. Also a great boost, as mentioned.
    I want a second one for my mini board!

15. JoeyHarley

JoeyHarley Member

just got a 1990 820 today along with an 880. mmmmm...tubesreamylishishness 8) so far using it last as a slightly-unclean boost and slamming it with the 880 with the gain maxed....and loving it. my hollowbody's going nuts with all the sustain!

16. furry

furry Senior Member

I liked the 820 a lot. it seemed punchier and less compressed than other TS-type pedals. of course, I flipped it. I flip every flipping thing...