Maxon OD-9 Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zosozep7, Feb 18, 2009.

1. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I just got an email from Analogman on my KOT order. In this email, he states that it will be a long wait and he suggests using a Maxon OD-silver. Not sure what a silver is but I have a OD-9 and I would put that pedal up against any other pedal out there. The Maxon is a permanent staple on my pedal board and I rarely ever not use it. I get tired of my other OD pedals and will switch them out occasionally but that Maxon stays put. It sounds so good and it just cant be match in tone that I have discovered!

Any other OD-9 owners out there that are as happy as I am with mine??

:munch

2. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I have bought and sold, re-bought and sold and finally bought again OD-9s. AM's classic and silver are both sweet. Yes, I'm in the club. The pedal is adequate at low volume, but really shines when the amp is humping. Between this and a Barber Direct Drive (that I will soon repurchase ala the OD-9), my OD is covered.

3. Velvert

Velvert Member

I run my AM OD 9 silver into a Mesa Lonestar 212 with a strat. Sounds great with just the clean channel and when I kick it on over the dirty channel its pure tube brake up overdrive heaven. I love playing with the volume on my strat to get different levels of drive saturation. I used to just go from 0 to 10. Now it’s a big part of my playing to adjust my volume for all the sweet spots my OD 9 silver has with my Lonestar. I also have a AM 3 knob small comp that adds some awesome flavor to my sound. I just got on the waiting list for the King Of Tone. I’m vary interested in hearing the OD 9 silver with the KoT.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. jacobhf

jacobhf Member

I had the AM brown mod and loved it. I will definately get one again if I need the TS sound.

5. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

I've bought and sold a few too, but keeping the one I have now.

6. atson67

atson67 Member

great pedal. do not understand why so many let it be mod.

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Because it can be even better. :)

8. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

Big OD-9 fan. It has beaten out a TS-9, TS-9 Analogman Brown, TS-9DX, and MP LGW for the "green box" spot. Bone stock!

9. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Isn't the OD-9 the exact same circuit as the TS-9? Other than the true bypass I mean.

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The OD-9 is a subset of the TS9 circuit, many parts (resistors, capacitors, transistors) are removed due to the true bypass switching. The lack of switching FETS may change the tone and feel a bit too (OD9 is not as soft feeling).

11. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have a stock Maxon OD-9 and OD-808. I have had the OD-808 for a good many years. Both are great pedals, super easy to dial in and tweak in a live setting. Good for boosting an amp. They don't work for all of my amps, but do the job for me. I really like that unity volume is about 12 oclock and that the volume does not change much as you increase the gain. I notice this on alot of other overdrive pedals....

12. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Mike, does your Silver mod bring back the "soft" feeling and tone of the OD-9 as this mod puts it to 808 specs? Or because of the OD-9's true bypass will there still be a noticable difference from an 808 in tone and/or feel?

13. the floyd

the floyd Member

I'm running a stock OD-9 into my "tube-ified" solid-state amp - an 80's Acoustic model with an EHX LPB-2ube in front. Don't know if it's the amp, the preamp, or the pedal, but when I use my Strat and the OD-9 together, I can get a very decent facsimile of Joe Walsh's tone on "Funk #49."

Overall, it's a very nice OD. I'm considering upgrading to a Dr Z Maz 18 NR - does anyone here have any opinions on the OD-9 into the Dr Z?

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Analogman's silver mod just improves it is all. It adds 20-30% more gain to it, makes it smoother & clearer and it's even better as a coloured booster. Yes you can improve an already great pedal and Analogman did it - no biggy. It only costs an extra $30 over a stock one :)

15. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I am running stock. This is it, and sound good enough that way

16. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

I had my OD-9 modded with the silver mod. It's a great sounding pedal. Mike's mod is great. The best part of this pedal is that it doesn't make you sound like anyone else but yourself. Many other OD pedals sound great but their reason to exist is to copy this or other tone. This pedal is here to stay and definitely in the future the OD-9 silver mod will be a sought after pedal. Remember this post in 25 years. Use RC booster after OD-9 silver and if you have a good tube amp you will be complimented for an amazing lead tone.

17. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I've been using an Analogman modded Maxon OD9 for a little over a year. It's got the Silver mod, and Mike built in a Bad Bob Boost into to it. I absolutely LOVE this pedal. The Silver mod gives it a bit more clarity, but it still has all that great, smokey tonal coloration that the pedal is known for. With the Bad Bob Booster built in, I've got an OD and a clean boost in a single, space efficient pedal. My recommendation is to try out the Analogman Silver mod-- if you like your OD9 now, you will love it with the Silver mod.

18. secretsoundz

secretsoundz Member

I'm a huge Maxon fan. I have the True Tube Overdrive which is basically a OD9 with a subminature tube. It's one of the best OD's I've heard.

19. ibzmav

ibzmav Member

OD9 feels like a modded version of the TS808. But the TS808 is still creamy (in a good way)

Od9 has no bass loss when engaged & more open-sounding compared to ts808. True-bypass switch on the od9 is a good thing too, though it is a little hard to on/off.

My taste changes every now & then so I swap either of the two sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  20. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

I think this pedal is great either stock or modded. Maxon built all the legendary Ibanez pedals in the 80's which is called the golden era of pedals. I truly believe that now pedals are better with a few exceptions (due to certain transistors that are no longer manufactured and that added character to specific pedals).