1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

maxon OD 9 pro+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluesmann, Jan 12, 2008.

1. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

hi Ya'll.

my second OD is a maxon od9 and imo its one of the best tube screamers going. I see that they now have the od9pro + and 2 or 3 other od9 versions. Just wondering if anybody here has tryed these others.
    the od9 pro + is supposed to run at 18 volts so i'm thinking it might sound cleaner/clearer than the regular od9 set at low gain. Thinking light breakup like some Hendrix stuff "wind crys mary" interested in your findings

Thanks Guys!

2. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

The OD9 Pro+ is a GREAT pedal. It has the perfect combination of crunch, clarity, and smoothness. Very, VERY cool. Maxon doesn't seem to get any love in this forum. I wonder why...

3. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

How's it sound with the drive set at about 9 o'clock?

4. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Not botique enough I'd imagine.. doesn't mean its not good. Its still Scott Hendersons preferred OD of choice.

5. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I would like to know more feedback because as said bluesmann I rather prefer too, and by far, my maxon OD-9 instead my Ibanez TS-9.

6. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

my guess is:
    they are mass produced pedals with boutique prices.

7. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

With the drive at around 9o'clock, the pedal starts to break into the "medium gain" range. It's very clear from 6 to 2o'clock and only starts getting mushy (which is good) past 2. I like how dynamic it feels in my hands. Like in any OD, picking dynamics is important. It's too bad a lot of pedals are able to "clean up" to softer attack, but sound incredibly wimpy. I really liked the way the OD9 Pro+ reacted to the way I played. Of course, it could be different for you (depending on what you play and your amp)

As far as mass produced pedals at boutique prices, I'd recommend you take a look into the insides of these pedals. The soldering and wiring of these pedals are some of the cleanest and tidiest of any pedal manufacturer I've owned (#1 IMO being Barber Elec). I've read somewhere that the OD9 Pro+ costs the same as a TS9 in Japan, so if you're ever in Japan and want to snag a great pedal for cheap...

8. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

+1 :AOK Simply one of the best TS type pedals I've tried. The clarity is great w/o getting harsh or raspy. Just beautiful sustain and the bottom end is full and warm. In Boost Mode (TS) you get that familiar TS mid bump (but still clearer). I haven't even tried it at 18V yet...no need. It sounds great as is.