Maxon OD-9/Silver vs KOTv4 (CAN ANYONE COMPARE?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onestop, Jun 10, 2008.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

So I realize that the KOT v4 is a two-channel and VERY versatile pedal (I own one) BUT I'm curious as to how it compares to the Analogman modded Maxon OD-9 with Silver?

2. soundbee

soundbee Member

That's a tough call - I have both. They're very similar but way different too. The KOT is much more versatile and capable of much more gain when you add the two channels. However, the OD9 silver is a great pedal and by Mike's own account the closest thing to a KOT and what he recommends when on his wait list.

Personally, I like the OD9 in a live setting as it's much more "set and forget" whereas with the KOT I keep wanting to tweak it.

3. onestop

But does the Maxon have more gain on tap if you were to compare it to one channel (either red or yellow) of the KOT v4?

4. onestop

btt. anyone else?

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I think this info is on my KOT page, an OD9 silver is still a tube screamer so it's still mostly true but to a lesser extent. I just added the last line to make it more concise:

The KoT does not have a huge amount of distortion. In OD mode, it has a little less drive available than a Tube Screamer. It has quite a bit more volume available than a Tube Screamer and The TONE control has a similar range. The KoT has less compression than a tube screamer, and also does not boost the mids or cut low end as much.