Maxon PH-350 Power?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcshirke, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

The Maxon PH-350 requires 10V DC, not the usual 9V. I'm sure I can dial in exactly 10V with my Juicebox, but I have that power supply going to another pedal board. Is it possible to get 10V DC with a PP2+? It didn't look like it when I glanced at TFM. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

You can run it just fine off the PP2+, normal 9v slots. I've been running mine with no issues for well over a year and I know a few other folks doing the same thing.

3. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

What would that extra volt do--at least in theory? I wonder why Maxon states that some pedals can run on 9 or 10V, but they specifically say the PH350 should be 10V only?

Thanks...I trust you. I'm just thinking/wondering out loud I guess.

4. Dom

Dom Member

Same here, 9V and no problems.

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

It may affect your headroom very slightly. The phasing might change a little, but I wouldn't think there would be too big of a difference. Think about running pedals on a battery. The voltage is continuously changing, and so will the sound, but very subtly until you get down a few volts. Some batteries go higher than just 9v (like 9.6v etc) so they may just round the number up. One volt on a analog phaser really shouldn't affect too much for you.

The Ph-350 is one of those phasers that I've always wanted, but still haven't ever owned. I've got a homemade Phase 90 and a EH Bad Stone (not Small Stone) and have had all the Mu-Tron Phasers, which I have heard this one sounds like. I'd be curious to as to your opinion on it.

6. jb70

jb70 Member

i believe there is a switch on the pp2+ that toggles between 9v and 12v. could you just run it at 12v? i'm asking because i just got one of these pedals too and it's going on my new board and will be powered by a pp2+.

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

There is definitely no headroom issues running the PH350 at 9v. If you're thinking about getting one, do it. I have tried many phasers and it is the best to my ears. It kicked the Moog 12 stage back out the door even. Very versatile with a wide range phase tones. The rotary speaker sounds aren't bad either.

8. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I just got one of these and I'm loving it, however it won't oscillate at high high feedback settings as its suposed to- I really don't need it to oscillate, but I'm wondering if its not because I'm running it at 9V not 10V...

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No. I've run it off the included Maxon adapter (10v) and there was no difference in sound, performance or capabilities between the factory power supply, a Godlyke Power-All, or a Pedal Power 2+.

-Ben

10. jb1911

jb1911 Member

If you go to the Maxon site and look at the specs they actually say the 9v adapter is the correct one for the PH-350. I had one and was confused by that because it says right on the pedal to run it at 10v. The adapter that came with mine was 9v and it was factory seeled from Japan. I don't think it really makes any difference.

11. Windup 43

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I used to run mine at 9v too.

When I got the chorus of the same family, I saw it said 10v too, so I called the distributor. The guy said 9v was fine.

13. Windup 43

I don't need mine to oscillate (have delay for that), just wondering if your guys' does...

14. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    And the winner is:

TheGrooveking