Maxon Rotary Phaser PH-350

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by carltonh, Jun 25, 2006.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

So far I've never read anything bad about this, except that it is not true bypass and is expensive. Can it do univibe to Phase 90 and beyond like so many people say? Being able to switch between 4,6,10 stages sounds like it should be super versatile. The lack of true bypass is my worry, because I'm already using a non-true bypass Digitech PDS-8000, and am adding an Arion SCH-Z any day now too.

One of Maxon's 10 stage sound sample make me want it because it reminds me of Ayreon's Prog Metal music, and its a sound I don't think I've heard from other guitar phasers ... excepting Moog which is too big and complex for me.

2. shakti

shakti Member

I don't know about Uni-vibe sounds...noothing but a Uni-vibe does that, IMO. But that aside, this is an *awesome* phaser. I just keep coming back to this one, every time I switch it on I am reminded how great it sounds. And it is really versatile too - from subtle to wacky, you can cop any classic MXR phase sound (except maybe the lopsided Phase 100 sounds, but the 10 stage setting does get close). If there's anything I'd add, it would have to be a center control, but I have my Uni-vibe for those slightly lopsided swooshes. The sound quality of this one is really outstanding - very, very lush, watery and chewy, just like we like 'em. I've read that this is the only phaser utilizing photocells like the classic Mutron phasers, is that true? I think maybe the Infinitphase does too, but that one's way too big and complicated for me.

Don't let the lack of true bypass scare you off - either have it modded, or use it as is. I am pretty anal about TB, but the buffer in this one is really good.

Lastly, FWIW, this one bumped a Moog off my board. Sounds much better, IMHO. The Moog kind of layered on top of my sound, this one just blends in beautifully.

3. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I don't own one but have used one quite a bit and it is a GREAT phaser. Won't do the Univibe thing as that usually needs a 2 stage setting and the Maxon has 4, 6, 10, stages. As the person above mentions the ONLY thing it is missing is the center control.

It has a vrey rich sound and a 6 stage phaser is a WONDERFUL setting, slightly more churn than an average 4 stage (phase 90) but not as deep and peakey as a 10 stage which is great for those deep MuTron, Moog phaser effects.

The other thing that is very cool is the feedback knob provides either positive OR negative feedback and these sound very different and it adds a ton of tonal variations. If you can live with it not having true bypass and always needing an AC adaptor (not sure of the voltage) and the larger size it is a killer phaser.

The only other one (that I have not tried) but looks in my book to have the BEST set of controls is the Sub Decay Quasar which does have a Center control AND a Mix knob which can be very handy when you have a lot of feedbcak and you don't want to overpower your sound.

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I have one as well and have enjoyed it for years.

The only downside to it that I can find is that it doesn't do a great slow, doppler phase that is dramatic.

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I'll echo what everyone else has said about the 350. And add that all of the pedals in that series don't seem to get the respect they deserve. The 820 is a great pedal too along with the 550. I'm not too keen on the Distortion (840?) but aside from true bypass issues those pedals sound great and are really well built. Bigger than normal footprint tho.....

Bob

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

Anyone compare the Maxon PH350 to the Sobbat PhasebreakerII?
    These are the main phasers I'm looking at.

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

Well, I couldn't help myself when a 350 was on Ebay for $155 shipped, buy it now. I see that they often go used for $220-230. I guess I'll have an opinion for myself soon ... except I've never used many phasers personally to compare directly.

8. shakti

shakti Member

You'll love it, I guarantee! Any issues regarding features or bypass are forgotten once you hear the sound.

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

I assume it will run fine with a One-Spot adapter?

10. shakti

shakti Member

The manual says it asks for 10VDC, but it will run just fine on 9VDC, and probably 12VDC and up too.

11. KaBudokan

KaBudokan Supporting Member

Mine works fine with my Power-All at 9v. Cool phaser.

12. picassochild

picassochild Member

I have both and bought PH-350 after Sobbat. I thought that PH-350 could replace it...no, I didn't want to sell it, but just wanted to check em both. They are different but very versatile in their own way. I like 3 toggle switch of Sobbat and can use Vibrato after only one tweak....but it's kinda versatile in options of defferent style of phaser and vibrato, where PH-350 is versatile in option of original sound of phaser...feedback knob is my fav there. I can do pretty the same sound of SY in Diamond Sea :drool I keep them both and even bought nos Small Stone. Both don't have true bypass, but don't suck my tone.

13. carltonh

carltonh Member

Well, I bought and sold the PH350. I traded in indirectly for a BYOC Phase Royal. (Actually a Phase Royal as built by Nero at rockstarpedals.com and called "Shine.")

I really liked the PH350, but thought I would like something that could also get closer to a univibe. The Phase Royal is also excellent as long as you don't have it set to univibe and Phase 45 settings at the same time. I think I liked the PH350 more. It had better slow/long phases, and could get both deeper and shallower phases plus stereo if necessary. Also, the depth knob is useful in most settings for Phase 90 sounds, but for univibe settings, IMO, it has to be full CW, and for Phase 45 settings it has to be full CCW.

That said, I don't think I want to pay the higher cost to trade back to a PH350. Both pedals have some lame settings, but as long as you know to avoid those settings, they are great.