Maxon SD-9--get mods or not??? Who's had both?

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
I played a Maxon SD-9 as my main dirt exclusively for years, and I just got caught up in the chase (thanks, TGP) and turned my back on it. Now I'm in a circling back mood, and I'm trying to decide whether to get the Analogman mods or not.

Anybody here spent considerable time with both the unmodded and modded versions? Do the mods, while making the tone knob more usable and less brittle, take away that SD-9 bass punch that I liked so much about that pedal?

I have the analogman mod, but I would just stay with the original. There are not to many pedals that can sound as good as the SD9 in front of a Marshall circuit.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
I have the analogman mod, but I would just stay with the original. There are not to many pedals that can sound as good as the SD9 in front of a Marshall circuit.
Are there any drawbacks to the mod? FWIW, I always used my SD-9 with a Victoria Bandmaster, and sometimes pushed a little with a TS9.

rummy

I have my OD 9 modded by Analogman. I love what he's done to it. I love the extended bass and the transparency.

Lance

the mod made it smoother and more midrangy like a TS. i'd just leave it stock.
This is exactly what Scott Henderson says about the mod. Holy smokes this pedal performs small miracles in front of a Boogie Mark III! I really like it a lot more than my AM TS-9/808 silver mod. If you can crank up the master to around 4, and push the clean channel it gets sooooo fat, and warm. Definitely my favorite dirt pedal with that amp. It sounds great on the other two channels, as well.

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Supporting Member
I used an old Ibanez SD-9 for a few years, sent it to Mike P.- his mod shifts the range of the tone control so that you can roll off some highs (with Strat pickups, for instance) without the pick attack going too dark.

Ed Reed

Yep, stock works better for me too. I use mine in front of Fender circuits so there you go.

vhollund

I've had the stock version for over 15 years and I never saw a reason to mod it
I believe Michael Landau who made this pedal boom, uses the stock version

OotMagroot

Supporting Member
Had the stock. Had Analogman mod it. THEN, I sent it back to Analogman for the mids knob option.

If it were me....I'd stick with the stock pedal. The modded pedal (before mids knob) was nice, but not different enough to be worth the time and money. The mids knob WAS nice, but it was hard for me to dial in.

Stratburst70

I’m going to do the TGP thing and suggest something completely different: hunt up a Way Huge Geisha Drive.

It’s based on the SD-9 but with some magical pixie dust courtesy of Jeorge Tripps. They were limited edition so they’re getting harder to find, but the prices haven’t skyrocketed yet. Well worth the hunt.

tinkercity

Supporting Member
I know @tinkercity has extensive experience with this
I do! I've tried virtually every mod and most of the "inspired by" pedals. I always go back to the stock ones or one's with the footswitch modded to a normal true bypass switch (even though the Maxon is TB, the latching switch is a little janky). The Analogman with Mids knob is useful, but you can only add so much mids into the signal before it changes the character of the gain and clean up.

That's the issue with the mods, once you change one small thing it really effects the whole circuit and how we use the SD-9. It truly acts very much like a fuzz face.

All that to say, there is a pedal that has been in prototype mode and will be released soon that addresses all of these concerns. It's the first that I've encountered to take what the SD-9 does and actually make it better while still maintaining what we all love about the circuit. The tight bass, range of gain, clean up on the volume knob. I can't wait to share more once I'm allowed :)

Trending Topics