• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

MAXON SD-9SH Scott Henderson Sonic Distortion

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Aside from @el greco ’s post here which was the first I’ve heard of this...I can find a couple online references to this pedal being unveiled at NAMM by Godlyke but not a single specific mention anywhere else shining a light on this new offering from Maxon.

Last edited:
Finally, I had my eye set on the Tonic Distortion, because it has taken care of the Sd9 flaws. But this is probably much more affordable! When is the release?

pete692

Gold Supporting Member
According to the email I got back today from Godlyke, they’re still a ways off from even having a unit that Scott has okayed to go into production. This could take a while. He said they are still having some “back and forth” with Mr. Henderson about “the mod.”

I’m not hopeful I’ll be seeing one of these on my board anytime this year.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Finally, I had my eye set on the Tonic Distortion, because it has taken care of the Sd9 flaws. But this is probably much more affordable! When is the release?
yes, I am very curious to try this modified version and compare to my Tonic Distortion - the latter really retained the character of the original, while addressing some of the shortcomings.

Perhaps this new Maxon version does something similar.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
(below is response from Godlyke re: Maxon SD9-SH):

Bill:

Thank you so much for the kind words. As of right now a lot of our projects are a bit in limbo given the current situation. Our original plan was to have this out by the third quarter of this year. I'll put you on the New Sonic Distortion email list so you'll be the first to receive all pertinent information regarding its release.

Stay safe and stay creative.

In music,

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
yes, I am very curious to try this modified version and compare to my Tonic Distortion - the latter really retained the character of the original, while addressing some of the shortcomings.

Perhaps this new Maxon version does something similar.
Glad you dig the Tonic! I helped along with the circuit as it was being prototyped. I had been looking for a pedal that would address the issues of the SD-9 but keep the character... tight low end, range of gain, clean-up etc... but fix the EQ, compression and volume issues. XTS are doing another run of them btw, which is cool.

I'd love to check one of these out when their done. I imagine Covid has put a hold on all of it for now. They are supposed to send me one to demo once it's all done so I'll keep y'all updated as well. No one can have enough great SD-9 circuits! :)

Tonycaster

I've been a bit disappointed by the stock SD9, this new version looks attractive. Hopefully it'll be better sounding that the stock one, which, to me, misses volume, clouds up the basic tone, and makes the tone control useless above 9 o'clock. I've tried it with all my amps (a '78 2203, an AC30, a Pro Reverb and the new Origin 20h, all stock), and there's no way it would replace my Xotic BB Preamp MB or the AC Booster...

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Here’s what Scott himself said about it on his forum in March:

There isn't a new version that I know of. If you mean my signature SD-9, that never happened. They advertised it for NAMM but it wasn't ready. So far, I haven't heard a mod on the SD-9 that makes it sound better than the stock version.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Here’s what Scott himself said about it on his forum in March:

There isn't a new version that I know of. If you mean my signature SD-9, that never happened. They advertised it for NAMM but it wasn't ready. So far, I haven't heard a mod on the SD-9 that makes it sound better than the stock version.
Well this is a disappointing piece of info and not in synergy with the recent responses from Godlyke. Hmm....

For the sake of discussion...I posted this earlier....this is what was communicated to me by the distributor:

"Our original plan was to have this out by the third quarter of this year. I'll put you on the New Sonic Distortion email list so you'll be the first to receive all pertinent information regarding its release."

Well this is a disappointing piece of info and not in synergy with the recent responses from Godlyke. Hmm....

For the sake of discussion...I posted this earlier....this is what was communicated to me by the distributor:

"Our original plan was to have this out by the third quarter of this year. I'll put you on the New Sonic Distortion email list so you'll be the first to receive all pertinent information regarding its release."

Indeed, they said to me through an Instagram message that it would be definitely available this year. I trust Mr. Henderson way more though...

pete692

Gold Supporting Member
Indeed, they said to me through an Instagram message that it would be definitely available this year. I trust Mr. Henderson way more though...
Maybe there’s some royalty negotiation drama playing out behind the scenes. I mean, I have 3 different permutations of the SD-9 in my closet already, and if a Henderson signature model hits the market, I will be sure to add one more, sight unseen. Scott must be aware of the value of his name on this pedal and maybe Maxon isn’t playing ball - yet.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Maybe there’s some royalty negotiation drama playing out behind the scenes. I mean, I have 3 different permutations of the SD-9 in my closet already, and if a Henderson signature model hits the market, I will be sure to add one more, sight unseen. Scott must be aware of the value of his name on this pedal and maybe Maxon isn’t playing ball - yet.
I don’t disagree...however Maxon / Godlyke literally released promo / pr (all be-it vague and minimal) for a the SD-9SH and shared images of the pedal with Scott’s name on it. That’s a pretty big no-no unless there was some formal understanding in place.

You could be right in that Scott is playing a bit dumb specifically for negotiation purposes and which is not a bad position for him to take....but it’s still hard to believe that the Maxon would publish photos of the pedal with his name on it.

If they jumped the shark so egregiously then this might explain why Scott is throwing a lot of cold water on the situation.

pete692

Gold Supporting Member
I don’t disagree...however Maxon / Godlyke literally released promo / pr (all be-it vague and minimal) for a the SD-9SH and shared images of the pedal with Scott’s name on it. That’s a pretty big no-no unless there was some formal understanding in place.

You could be right in that Scott is playing a bit dumb specifically for negotiation purposes and which is not a bad position for him to take....but it’s still hard to believe that the Maxon would publish photos of the pedal with his name on it.

If they jumped the shark so egregiously then this might explain why Scott is throwing a lot of cold water on the situation.
Regardless, it’s all a little weird. Hope to have one some day.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Seems like it was in the pipeline, they jumped the gun on announcing it, and then it possibly fell apart in development.

Scott is picky as F and it really wouldn’t surprise me if he thinks the original is fine as it is and there’s nothing he’d want to do to change it. Otherwise he’d probably be using a modded pedal already. Maybe they agreed to do it and then once it got to development he bailed.

He doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who would do it just for the sake of doing it.

Now that I think about it, I kind of remember this coming up on guitar wank.

Last edited:

Trending Topics