• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Maxon SD9, How does it compare?

Groovey Records

Do others share this opinion? I'm looking at Analogman's modded SD-9 vs. his modded DS-1. I'm playing at low volume, but want that classic crunch (not 80's hair band), and am about to pull the trigger on his SD-9 with the external midrange control pot. If this won't cut it at low volume, maybe I should look at his DS-1 instead.
I've been passing emails back and forth with Analog Mike for most of the week to get my order just right right.

You should email him too he'll usually gets back within the next Morning or soon after that,

He has been extremely patient and helpful.

Joe Tee

PS his website has so many layer it is full of info dig deep!
www,analogman.com

vhollund

I'd say that's a fair approximation. Definitely not that heavily compressed distortion tone.
It sounds like you are more looking for at clean boost then, maybe analogmans modded SD9 can do it if it has "less harshness"
What amp do you have?

You mentioned landau( i think?) , he uses a fuzzlike pedal , Voodoo-1

geoangus

Silver Supporting Member
I've been passing emails back and forth with Analog Mike for most of the week to get my order just right right.

You should email him too he'll usually gets back within the next Morning or soon after that,
I actually emailed him about his DS-1 mod, and he closed his comments discussing the SD-9. Next thing I knew, this thread popped up so I chimed in. Unfortunately, my "effects" vocabulary is pre-school, so I struggle to explain what I'm looking for.

It sounds like you are more looking for at clean boost then, maybe analogmans modded SD9 can do it if it has "less harshness"
What amp do you have?
Mesa Boogie MKIII, Anderson Classic guitar. I've got a tone thru the clean channel, but the crunch channel isn't cutting it. Hence the pedal search. I think the modded SD-9 is the ticket, need to find some clips.

gwade

Landau uses the Voodoo 1 as a clean boost. Gain all the way down, volume all the way up. Stacks beautifully!!​

Funny thing about Henderson is that he tries out all kinds of o/d (BB, new Maxon, Xact Precision OD) and always ends up with the SD-9 again.​

I could spend ALOT of money chasing Henderson's gear.​

Oddos

Mike doesn`t have the gain all the way down ont he Voodoo-1. It`s more around 10 -11 o`clock. Tone at 1 o`clock. He generally has volume on full on both pedals. He has a volume pedal last in the chain which was rarely on full when I saw him play last. With two differently voiced pedals giving three main options, volume pedal after and using the volume knob a lot, there`s a lot of options. There`s also three sounds on the OD-100 Classic.

He`s had the SD-9 for a long time in the small rack. Before that it was a DS-1. For along time the lead tone was a Voodoo-1 into a TS-9, but after starting to use the SD-9 more he replaced the TS-9 with a VB-2.

Pesonally, I like the both SD-9 into Voodoo-1 and Voodoo-1 into SD-9. Quite different but both are cool.

Aside from gain differences and different tonality both the SD-9 and Voodoo-1 clean up well with the volume knob. I use both that way for different tones.

vhollund

Scott (had , now RC) gain at ten , Landau has it around 11
Maybe its just the knob thats twisted on one of them who knows :)
Before that it was a DS-1
SD-1 (Ibanez)

Landau runs SD9 into Voodoo-1 or the contrary?

Have you tried an ordinary tubescreamer?
Or RC booster or something simular

Oddos

Scott (had , now RC) gain at ten , Landau has it around 11
Maybe its just the knob thats twisted on one of them who knows :)
SD-1 (Ibanez)

Landau runs SD9 into Voodoo-1 or the contrary?

Have you tried an ordinary tubescreamer?
Or RC booster or something simular

First incarnation with DS-1:

Second with SD-01 (basically a SD-9):

Current:

Small pedalboard showing how it`s wired:

For current Landau gear info: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=102449863&blogID=324264214

I have a lot more. ;)

vhollund

First incarnation with DS-1
Aha , yes indeed , you where right :) Nice pics

Notice that the voodoo-1 is on pretty much al the time
Why ?
Because its a photo!
*Hedrhedrhedr*

No seriusly he keeps it on all the time
I think he got the buffer removed or bypassed
Its funny because the Voodoo-1 is one big buffer and Landau says he doesnt like buffers in his pedals

Oddos

At least it`s on most of the time when playing through his Fenders. Not so sure when he uses the OD-100. Lots of options there.

Both pedals are a great part of Landau`s tone in the fact that pushing his amps with the volume on full is the source of his sustain.

Tbone135

So what's the difference between a stock Ibanez SD-9 and a Maxon one? I love my old SD-9, don't know why I don't use it more often.

Reactions: lv

Oddos

So what's the difference between a stock Ibanez SD-9 and a Maxon one? I love my old SD-9, don't know why I don't use it more often.
True bypass. Other than that, depending on the rest if your gear, not much. I think a new Maxon is just a tad more refined than my old Ibanez. Has probably more to do with age than construction. Lots af variables with SD-9s though, as I feel they`re unusually sensitive to different power sources for not being a fuzz.

In either case, to me, next to the Voodoo-1 it`s the greatest pedal discovery ever. Always looking for other options, though. I think an SD-9 with a blend pot, like the Sparkle Drive, could be a very interesting pedal.

Oddos

IMHO, the worst Maxon pedal...:worried
Drive settings are not useful compared to other distortion pedals...
No volume knob... :jo
An SD-9 has GAIN, VOLUME and TONE. However the new OSD-9 and OOD-9 have no TONE control. Just like the Cot 50, tons of boosts and all classic fuzzes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom