Maxon vop-9: the best TS ever?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woude, Apr 24, 2008.

1. woude

woude Member

2. panosy

panosy Member

I would also like to hear some comments (and unofficial samples if any) on that.. I was surprised with the fact that Scott Henderson praised it so much, and replaced the BB preamp with it (actually replaced all the Maxon SD-1, OD-9, BB preamp and now has only the VOP as a drive, the reast being boost and fuzzes). There must be -some. reason :)

3. Dana

Dana Guest

I always thought that the VOP-9 was a small box version of the Maxon OD-820. I briefly owned both, but to my simple ears the OD-820 sounded/worked better for my needs. YMMV.

4. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Big Maxon fan here, Iteresting that they would re-introduce a pedal that basiclly garnered little interest for them, There must be something to this..Jacques has a new version of the old Tube Screamer that's supposly dead on..few new choices

5. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

The clean-blend feature of the VOP works really well. I feel like the screamer vibe is still there, but it works so much better as an independent overdrive compared to a stock 808. The pedal is solid, and there was a lot more gain than I expected from the VOP.

I owned the VOP and OD-9 Pro+ together at the same time, and they're both GREAT pedals. The OD-9 Pro+ is less compressed but still smooth enough for singing leads (which I like better than the zen), while the VOP does the boost thing really, really well, and it can stand on its own as a dirt pedal.

Maxon makes some quality stuff

6. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

NOPE. Abunai 2 is the greatest TS ever

7. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I can see why he replaced it.. to me, the BB is too compressed. No matter what i do with it, I just can't dig it 100%. I will check some of these out.. i need a pedal that is a clean boost but also serves me with a bit more dirt when I need it.It has to blend well without losing too much of the original tone.

8. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I've owned Maxon OD-9, VOP-9 and SD-9, and I compared them using an A/B/C box. I played single coil strats and teles only with these. The VOP-9 sounded more open than the OD-9, and it had a little more bottom. I loved that OD-9 but after the comparison I sold it. I rarely sell away anything so that's how impressed I was with the VOP-9. The OD-9 is a great pedal and probably does much better comparatively with HB pups. The VOP-9 was better with single coils definitely. Better definition, clarity, more bottom, with just as much gain on tap.

The SD-9 is a distortion with a unique character; silk with teeth.

9. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I had one for awhile, and eventually sold it. Great pedal by all means though. Nice bottom end, and has a little more gain than say an OD808. The clean blend does work really well, and IMO, the pedal works great in a low gain adding a bit of dirt kind of thing. It is a little more open and clear than most TS pedals as well.

I sold it once i recieved my SRB808. Now this pedal is clear and open, has more gain and bottom end, and for what i play suited me better.