MAXON's bad service

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzzface, Oct 17, 2005.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

I forgot to post, awhile back I wrote to Maxon about getting a replacement op amp for my OD-9 since I broke mine (accident while I had it open) the bottom also had the bottom sticker missing (bought like that)- must have come off when someone pulled off the velcro. THe MAXON reply from JAPAN was a demand for the serial number and that they only accept a wire transfer and the shipping was 30 USD!!! for a tiny op amp!!!! plus I needed to pay for the part!!!! That made me angry, while the maxon AD-999 is the best analog delay I have heard, I hope it NEVER breaks otherwise I fear I will throw it out rather than deal with Maxon demands and inflated prices. BTW when I replied to the Maxon salesreps email, I stated that I felt some of the prices and serial number demand were not reasonable there was no follow up.

2. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

I did in the past but I have already sold it. I just bought a blues devil !

3. somedude

somedude Member

Having shipped stuff to that part of the world before, the costs don't seem unreasonable to me.....

....it wasn't their fault it broke after all.

IMO.

4. jpagey

jpagey Member

Maxon sounds reasonable to me. If I understand you, you bought used, you broke the part and you expected Maxon to send you a part free, with no shipping costs? If Maxon sent free parts, no matter how inexpensive, to everyone who inquired, their prices would go thru the roof.

How long ago did you sell the pedal?

5. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

adam check your pm

sorry to hijack

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Why is it bad service to expect the customer to pay for shipping a replacement part for something you broke? And most companies require a serial number before just shipping out parts. Maybe not the service you were wanting or expecting, but not what I'd consider 'bad service.'

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Clik here for help <<<:<<<

8. Aeromonk

Aeromonk Member

I wrote Maxon once about the internal trims on a CS-9 Chorus. The tech rep. and I bounced emails back and forth, he shared the oscillation specs in absolute and lengthy detail, warned me not to adjust anything for fear of adulterating the sounds of the pedal, and then we had a few follow-up, jolly conversations about life in Japan.
    :)

9. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Dude I had the same experience. 2 years ago my 1992 Dodge van had the battery die. Granted I left the lights on all night but I called Dodge and they said " So go buy a new battery you moron"

I was flabergasted!!! I couldnt believe how they treated me!!

10. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Turtlehead, you crack me up :D

11. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

:D I might have to make that my first Sig.

12. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Did you email Godlyke? Try them, if you haven't.

I think it's reasonable that you have to pay for the part + shipping, but maybe they can do *something* for you.

Jeff

13. jpagey

jpagey Member

He stated later in this thread that he sold the pedal awhile ago. I guess he is still pretty steamed.

14. turtleheadblues

Whoa dude, I missed part of the original post......

The sticker on the back was missing?? This used pedal must have been severely abused by its former owner<owners?>

The anti velcro sticker treatment must not have been applied at the factory properly. This happened to me once with a battery sticker on a pedal. It was missing and I had to send the pedal in everytime i had to replace the battery.

15. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

I love it.... The price to mail an op amp any where in the world isn't 30 USD. It is much less unless you are shipping in 24 hours or something, but Maxon stated they were just using Japan's own mail service. The sticker on the back of the pedal was missing before I got the pedal, so I how was supposed to supply the serial number? In light of that fact, Maxon didn't try to help me out, they were too protective of one of their op amp??? They made me feel like I was sneaky to get one of their chips despite stating the facts to them and the terrific bad luck I had with damaging the original. I offered to mail them the broken one as proof since I never had the serial number of the pedal, but I never got a reply. BTW to mail an op amp to JAPAN in a padded envelope(more expensive than a regular envelope) and registered is only about 8 USD. Does anyone else get this? I just think sometimes special circumstances warrant special considerations. I know that I counted one email from Maxon, no replies. Do that in customer service in North America, and you lost your job.....

16. Rid

Rid Senior Member

It is not very difficult to figure out what OP-amp they use, and get a replacement for it.
    No need to get it from outside your own country.
    Our policy here at CM is that we fix peoples stuff, even if it is old and clearly secondhanded, they just pay for the shipping.
    If it is very severe dammage, some hours will be chucked on too if it is an old used unit.
    Did they sand off the surface of the OP-amp by the way?

17. turtleheadblues

So to get this straight you sold a knowingly broken pedal ? I am assuming you explained all of these issues to the buyer?

18. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

I replaced the chip with a small bear chip. I was hoping to get an original Maxon chip, but...... I just heard that the Maxon chip are supposed to be SUPERIOR and selective, bt maybe that is just a sales pitch..... THat is the ONLY reason I bothered with them at all. The Small Bear chip was killer, I think it sounded the same as the Maxon chip -to my recollation.

19. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Next time just send it to Godlyke. I bought a used Maxon AD80 that didn't work. I sent it to them expecting a price for repair. Instead I got back one week later fixed no charge. All I had to pay was shipping to them. Always work with the national or local rep if you can.

TheGrooveking