Maxon's "LED Lit" Tube Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wesman61, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Saw this on [​IMG]Ebay.
    I was hoping the tube would very important in shaping the whole sound. Oh well, I guess that's what tube amps are for. Sounds like a gimmick to Me.

2. iaresee

iaresee Member

People expect tubes to glow. This upholds that expectation. A starved plate design, such as is used this pedal, doesn't use enough voltage at the plates to heat them up and produce any glow. The LED mimics this. The signal is still being passed through the tube though and it's imparting all of it's non-linear frequency response characteristics on the signal.

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Yeah, you need about 200vcd to fire up a dual triode tube properly. You just ain't getting that out of a 9v pedal. I bet the LED is actually what does the distortion clipping too, because word on the street is that LEDs work better for clipping than normal diodes. Crazy, huh?

4. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Actually it takes about 6.3 volts to make the filament glow. If the plates are glowing something is wrong. But seriously I expect the tube to be starved in a 9 volt OD pedal. It just cracks Me up They'd put a diode in there to make the tube glow. Gotta give 'Em what They want huh?

5. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

It's very Behringer. EHX actually does it with their tube pedals too, but with a lamp.

6. iaresee

iaresee Member

Precisely! FWIW: the first time I encountered this back-lit tube setup was in the first Vox modeler pedal back in the 90's. They back lit the 12AX7 in it. Since then it seems to be pretty standard fare.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Yeah, but you won't get any free flowing electrons from the heater. People expect that blue magic to happen all the time.

8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i saw those pedals at winter namm '08. i hit a couple of the footswitches and noticed the tube lit up right away in a bright amber color. i didn't think about until a few minutes later and thought to check it out more closely. you could see the little led under the tube making it glow. they were the little tubes and i didn't know the specs, maybe they don't need a ton of voltage and current to work their magic. on the other hand i think they used to be called "marketing tubes" by the early users.