May The Swart Be With Me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by khud, Dec 20, 2005.

1. khud

khud Member

Well, actually, it IS with me !!

Alot of you know, after my quest for a light weight blues amp, I took the plunge on the Swart Atomic Space Tone.

I can tell you this ...

It is some awesome little amp, with an awesome BIG sound.

The Tremelo is just killer. The sound spreads out all over the place from both the front and back (with or without the Trem). I also got the Atomic Boost foot pedal, which throws some serious boost (very well named) but keeps the tone true and clean ... Then I popped my friends overdrive pedal on her the other day ... and this baby was SCREAMING.

Im not so much into Reverb ... but this reverb engulfs you. Pretty amazing.

Michael Swart ... damn fine equipment you are building down there in Wilmington. I look forward to stopping in for a visit this spring or summer when I get down there. Thank you so much!!

Another happy Swart owner here. And the comments I got at the Blues jam the other night ... LOL!!! I had to let a bunch of the regulars guys play through it ... and they all loved it. Strats, Les Pauls, a PRS, a Tele ... AND a Harmonica!!! They ALL sounded great.

So, for those who wanted a bit of a review ... I will rate the Atomic Space Tone like this:

:AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK

35 pounds of Balls to the Wall Blues Tone. Awesome. Period.

Kevin

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

Great amp eh? And how about the feel? One of the best feeling/playing amps out there.

3. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

I agree it's a gruuuuvy little Ninja Amp!

4. Shane S

Shane S Member

Sweet! Mine is scheduled to be delivered on the 27th - I can hardly wait!

5. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Couldn't agree more, I'm loving mine (more everytime I play it). Now I'm starting to wonder about the Swart SE ... :D

And FYI, Studio Slips has the measurements for both Swart models so you can get a cover to protect that delicate fabric. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 69strat

69strat Member

I,m the friend that lent him the pedal. Now I,m hoping he,ll lend me the amp!!!! Fat chance!!!! Way cool amp!!!! Hey Greg, Love your playing. You are an inspiration to us all.

7. khud

khud Member

Greg ... did you change the Mojo out for the Celestion (Saw your web page) ... or did you order it that way?

Big difference between the two speakers? Thanks.

Also ... any one notice the leather strap ? Seems a little "light weight" for the amp. But if THAT is the only negative I can come up with (the control placement does not bother me at all) ... Im doing ok!

Kevin

8. khud

khud Member

Ya know Scott ... you could have played it at the jam Sunday night.

But your wfe wouldn't let you out ... remember?? :moon

9. mikecee

mikecee Member

Kevin:

Glad to hear you're loving yours as much as I love mine. I am playing more electric now than I was because of this amp.

A great sounding, groovy amp with instant mojo.

Admiral Mikey

10. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Hi 69Strat,
    Thanks very much for the good words!...

Hi Kevin,
    I put the G12H30 in myself.. I really like the extra low-end extension the Celestion gives the Swart, it balances the mids of this circuit. Very tight fit though... The stock Mojo speaker is really a good speaker but I like to balance/blueprint my amps and the G12H30 is favorite of mine for it's 3-D livelyness plus it dances at lower levels to all my playing nuances...

11. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

I likewise have hopped on the Swart AST train, and I'm loving the ride. But I have a couple questions for other AST owners. (I already quizzed Greg V., who was very helpful.) Mine is number 7, so one of the earlier ones, and I understand he started using different pots at some point. Mine is into thick distortion by 2 on my volume control, which is not a problem, and of course I can tame it with my guitar's volume. And it's already reasonably loud at that point. But my question is, do other AST owners have the same experience? I only ask because, if the newer pots allow a broader sweep of the usable range, it might be easier to set the amp. Right now, there's about a couple millimeters between too much and not enough, if you know what I mean. I spoke with Michael Swart, and he said the new pots weren't that different. Is everyone else into pretty significant distortion by two on their volume controls? (Even with my 59 strat pickups that are about 5.6 ohms). Just curious. No real matter, I'm digging the amp...

Also, do any AST owners live in Nashville? I'd be curious to compare mine...

12. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I love my AST. Best amp I have ever owned ... not that that's been too too many, but that one little groovy box seems to hold a goodly number of sounds that really get me off. In fact, I was gushing about it on another board, and I think I gave at least one person a serious case of GAS. I am so proud. :)

Silverboy, that isn't my experience. With my Tele, Jazzmaster, and Reverend Spy (3 lipstick tube Strat-type guit-critter) I can get decent cleans up to about 4. But the amp does seem to come into its own once there's a little hair on the tone.

SO true about the reverb & trem. They're my favorite sound spices ... the only ones I really need. And the AST's flavors are amazingly intense. I do wish the trem went a little faster & slower, but that's a teeny nit to pick.

13. FredW

FredW Member

Mine seems pretty clean up to about 5-6, But the way I have been playing it is with the volume on 10-it just sounds better this way!!! the only minor complaint is that the reverb is totally unusable above 3-4. I keep it at around 2. The other thing I have noticed is that the reverb decay is very sensitive to pick attack, the harder you play -the longer the reverb trail. Now Greg has got me thinking about a speaker change.

Great amp!!

14. 69strat

69strat Member

Hey Kevy, I,ve got a g12h30 to try out if your nice to me!!!!! Awww, shucks, I,ll let you try it out for...... Let s say, a nice deal on one of those cool axes you sell!!! No really, anytime, my fine feathered friend.

15. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I bought the speaker (Mojotone) from Greg when he posted it on the forum (Thanks Greg!). He was kind enough to discuss his playing and tone in some emails. Went to his web site and listened to the clips of tunes from the CD. Got to get that CD. Just inspiring great stuff. Anyway, one of the Swart ASTs that popped up used on the forum is on its way to me, and I am very eager to try it. Of course, I don't expect it's going to sound like GregV's mp3s, but I'm excited anyway. Probably will experiment with speakers, since I happen to have a G12H30 sitting on the shelf. Might even try a Red Fang for the heck of it (if it will fit with that big alnico magnet).

16. JeffD

OK, the Swart arrived today. It sounds terrific, but is cleaner than I had hoped (until it gets pretty darn loud, at which point the tone is sublime). Anyone tried a 5Y3 rec tube? The tube chart on the amp specifies that or the 5AR4. Mine's got the latter. I assume the 5Y3 would have less headroom and more sag. Anyone tried it in a Swart?
    Thanks.

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I think it's interesting the variety of clean/dirty comments coming up. What are you running into the Swart, Jeff?

18. JeffD

I tried three guitars just to get a sense of how it would respond. Humbucker solid body (with PAF clone pickups); P90 solidbody (with fairly hot pickups), and a strat clone with Fralin blues specials and an SP43 in the bridge. The level of breakup with the humbucker guitar was about what I'd want, although I did also try it with an RC Booster pedal for the heck of it. It responded well to that pedal (only pedal I tried).

I'll just throw in a few additional comments. Even when the Swart still fairly clean (but somewhat loud), I notice that notes will have a bit of cool harmonic feedback over the fundamental note as the fundamental fades. I've heard that before on high gain amps, but never on an amp that still sounds this clean. Also, the top end remains sparkly but not piercing with all of the guitars I mentiond. That's true at modest volume and cranked up. I know some have characterized it as solidly in the tweed camp, and maybe it is. I haven't owned a real tweed amp, although I've played a number of them for a few hours at a time. I would say this is different; a but less raw. Just very early impressions, since I played it for only about an hour. I do think I will try a Celestion G12H30, and maybe a Scumbag G12 55 soon (I've got both sitting there).