Maybe I already have the best amp....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitpicker, Sep 7, 2019.

1. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

I don't necessarily believe in the absolute categories of "better" or "worse".
    I do believe in "different" though ! :cool:
    "better" or "worse" might sometimes be valid between two very similar amps, but even then it's usually a matter of taste ...
    ymmv,
    Rhino

2. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Amps, guitars, drums, basses, etc. It's nice to walk into a shop and be tempted only rarely. Sit down and play something and realize what you already have sounds better. At least for my present needs.

3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I have a good amp for any playing situation I might find myself in.
    So, yes?

4. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I am in the same place with my '66 Pro Reverb and '76 Marshall JMP 50. Each time I get amp gas it just doesn't make sense to spend another grand or more when those two amps cover everything I need tonally and do it better than anything else I could get.

But... I don't take either amp out of the house so I can direct the GAS towards less expensive grab-and-go amps. For the last few years a Supro Dual Tone has had that role, but I think I'm about to begin rolling speakers in it because I am not 100% satisfied with the ET65 that's in there now, and you know how that goes. Might turn into a 5E3 or 1974x at some point.

5. terickson

terickson Silver Supporting Member

My Super Reverb is wonderful, until it’s time to load it up.
    It’s nice to have options.
    And I need one more......

NamaEnsou, Lef T and woof* like this.
  6. Funky54

Funky54 Member

NamaEnsou likes this.
  7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Had this epiphany earlier today. I had to play for an event at my church and I brought my Mesa/Boogie DC3. Load out in one trip, filled a room, loud enough for anything I’ll do, and super versatile. Just a guitar, a tuning pedal and an amp.

Sometimes when I’m browsing Reverb or eBay or whatever, I’ll see a big Fender amp for a decent price, or an older Mesa Rectifier head, and those are my weak spots.

But then I’m buying with my eyes instead of what I need.

Plus, I’m outta room: buying an amp means selling an amp.

That helps keep me in check too.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Pretty much there, Soldano slo100, 58 vos custom shop lp, vinetto tele, es339 cs. Pedals as needed. Nothing more to add, but will be buying a fryette gp/di again.

9. scott58

scott58 Member

Yep I'm really happy with my gear. Absolutely don't need anything else. Doesn't mean that Pink Taco won't be sitting under the Christmas tree.

10. woof*

woof* Member

Get an ATA case! Way easy to roll instead of carry.

11. draelyc

draelyc Member

The fact that my most recent clips of my two current amps — very different amps from each other in design and voicing — sound so similar to each other at the least strongly implies that I’m approaching that point of rapidly diminishing returns from continuing amp-searching or tone-questing. Either I’ve found the best amps for me and my style and my sound ... or I’ve gotten so “dialed in” to my sound that that’s what I’m going to end up pulling more or less from whatever amp I plug into that’s of a decent quality. :dunno

At this point, I think to consider another amp, it would have to be for a totally different type of rig — like a clean amp as a pedal platform, for example, since my main thing has always been getting my dirt & overdrive from the amp itself.

Tell you what, it’s kind of liberating to think I’m finally good on the amp front and can maybe, after 20 years, get back to worrying about learning to play guitar! :p

12. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Nah, we want more always, how can you stop having great sex :)

ProfRhino and El Rey like this.
  13. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I'm the worst when it comes to wanting more amps when the 3 amps I own more than cover all the bases. At one time I owned 12 amps and realized that I only played 3 or 4 95% of the time but every time something interesting comes on the scene I'm trying to figure out how to get it.

14. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Aye! Well there you have it.........

De Batz likes this.
  15. De Batz

De Batz Member

Mate, if you're having sex with your amps, that's going to wreck the resale value...

ProfRhino and El Rey like this.
  16. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

A Wizard is still calling you.......

DiPa likes this.
  17. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

You giving me GAS fellow brother Texan ...
    Yeah, one of these days...

18. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

On the opposite end of the spectrum I thought I had all the amps I "needed" but then hankering for something different and picked up another. I really only need one amp, but I do like having different colors and different amps bring out different aspects of my playing and get me out of ruts.

19. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

It’s got its sound, but it’s not for me. I’m glad you like it. Zero percent of my guitar hero’s and influences use one.

20. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

my friend paul plays the “lead” on this. sg through a super, straight in. dig the tone. paul had the touch.

ProfRhino likes this.