Maybe I'm just a cheapskate... but... upwards of 300+ for reverb???!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by meatbeard, Jul 20, 2006.

1. meatbeard

meatbeard Member

I am about to have a Rivera Knucklehead with no reverb at mi casa within the next few weeks. I have read that the VanAmps Reverbmate is the topdawg of all reverbs. But, despite the quality, after all........ its just reverb!!! ha. Is there really any point of dropping that much dough. I do enjoy a smooth,natural reverb sound, and I'm liking for it in 100 bux TOPS form! Any suggestions???

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The EH Holy Grail dosen't sound too bad to me.

3. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

As much as I'm not a Line 6 fan, the Verbzilla isn't too bad either.

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I used to have this thing called a Peavey Valvert that's tube reverb and tremolo in a rack unit. Probably in that $300 range, but it was perfect.

5. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Sorry for getting a little off topic here, but can the Holy Grail reverb be modified for true bypass (if it's not already made that way). Also, I've heard there is hiss, can that be corrected as well?

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

Reverb is for *****'s, save your money. :BEER

A cool delay on the other hand would be acceptable.

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Most new ones come from the factory true bypass. The hiss on the new ones isn't that bad either IMO. If you're looking for a dead quiet studio reverb stay away

8. meatbeard

meatbeard Member

This may be what Im thinking. I plan to add the Boss DD-20 to the old pedal board anyway, which I imagine will be more than enough delay/reverb.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

I usually don't like reverb live as it just helps bury you in the mix. There is usually enough room ambience. I use a pretty dry slapback for most parts and a wetter 440ms ish delay for leads.

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Your gonna end up spending a decent chunk of change no matter what you do when you are looking for reverb, echo or delay. To get a decent sounding analog delay, you are looking at the 250-400 area.... more than a vansamp soul-mate/reverbamate... :jo

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

EH Holy Grail...got it for $50 here on TGP.

12. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I am with the no reverb group. I have a 63 Fender RI that I use in really small rooms to get some ambience. Anywhere else my tone sounds better without. Short warm delay is much more versatile and effective. Honestly my reverb sounds best in my 14x18 studio space at lower volumes. Now if you are doing surf music ignore all I have just said and buy a Fender RI. Real reverb comes off the front row of an audience.
    rob