Maybe I’m just not a humbucker guy.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mike R., Dec 6, 2017.

1. grumphh

grumphh Member

Through your amp?
    If not try it through your amp first.

And well, there is no way around it, humbuckers sound different from P-90's, and you may well just not like humbuckers for what you do :)

2. sonofiam

sonofiam Member

I have a set of Railhammer Nuevo 90's and they are very nice pickups. A great blend of humbucker fullness and p90 clarity. Another option is the TV Jones humbucker size Power'trons, I have a set in my PRS CE24. The TV Jones are more humbucker sounding but both are great options for what you're looking for.

Ben Furman likes this.
  3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

TV Jones makes a bunch of his pickup flavors in Humbucker sizes.

I have Supertrons in my SG.

I'm not a humbucker guy either and mostly play Tele (w/ TV Jones Starwoods) with the SG as a backup.

-bEn r.

4. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I thought I was a humbucker guy until I got my Collings 290.

5. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

Many humbuckers, especially the stronger ones, will give you a good single-coil-ish sound with the coils in parallel. I do that on mine, and it sounds like a Tele with no hum.

Ben Furman likes this.
  6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I'm not a humbucker guy. But I don't let that stop me. I really like guitars that can be played with gain, with lowered noise and hum. But I think to my ears there's a price that is paid. For some reason, singles seem to turn over harmonically differently, with more chaotic and exciting sonic mayhem than the humbuckers do. So the conundrum for me is getting along at gigs without distracting noise, versus the thrilling stuff that comes along with that noise. So I've tried some stuff, found a few that work well enough. For me they tend to be lower output, more or less close to the original PAF written spec, though actual PAF pickups have a fairly wide range of sonics to my ears.

Here and there I've heard a few humbuckers that are ridiculously good sounding, but they weren't for sale. FWIW, I've heard P-90s that I prefer to any humbucker, any time. But there's that noise thing.. I like them all, have all types, but I prefer singles as a larger percentage of what I use.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

ledzep618 likes this.
  8. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I was a strat guy for years and years.

It wasnt til recently that I learned how to adjust humbuckers to sound clear.

Both my les paul guitars have plenty of snap yet, still have more body than my strats.

9. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

What about some Peter Green pickups out of phase.

10. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

11. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I definitely don't like playing humbuckers immediately after playing singles. Likewise for active vs passive. I tend to pick a mood for a day, and stick with it.

12. Mike R.

Mike R. Supporting Member

Thanks again for all the information.

I emailed Lollar today and they recommended their Standard Imperial set or their single coil for humbucker set.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-humbucker-pickups/lollar-imperial-humbucker

http://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-humbucker-pickups/single-coil-for-humbucker

Fralin also got an email but haven’t responded yet.

Tonight I spent about an hour and a half turning screws and raising everything il and down. I even raised them so the pole piece was just touching the strings and backed it off just so there was the slightest gap and no pull on the strings. It was definitely brighter but still no dice. Theses just aren’t the pickups for me I suppose.

13. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

For me, a great way to give myself tonal options in an HB is to have a switch to opt for Series or Parallel wiring. Makes a HUGE difference and gives me the snap and clarity I like. I also don’t like using tone pots unless they have a super high value capacitor that only affects the character of the pickup.

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Did you try lowering the pickups while raising the polepieces?

15. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I haven't read the thread so , I may be a repeater.
    Put in 500K pots and an aluminum TP on. Also having the Duncan Ants set a bit lower and experimenting with raising pole pieces should get you there.
    BTW , I've been a lifelong LP and Tele player. Those are the only electrics that I luv and care to play.

Decal likes this.
  16. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried filtertrons? You might like them

17. Mike R.

Gaaaahhhhhh! So many options!

The Fralin P92s look good also.

Ben Furman likes this.
  18. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

OP: have you lowered the pickup and raised the I’m a decidedly single cool guy, but a low output A4 pickup, set far from the strings with the polepieces raised gets me HB tones than lean deep into single cool territory.

19. Mike R.

That’s my project tonight. :)

I’m going to drop them really low and raise up the pole pieces and see what happens. I’d really like to go through every option with these before I spend money on another set.

20. Drewski

Drewski Supporting Member

Mike, before you spend any more money (because quite frankly, most ant's are pretty good sounding pickups imo). To get humbuckers brighter, I will raise the pole pieces above the covers, sometimes quite a bit. Then lower the pickup itself via the screws in the mounts. If you run your volume controls at less than 10, and you arent already using 50's wiring, that is an easy mod that can add quite a bit of sparkle to humbuckers.

All this is being said as a guy that didnt own any humbuckers for like 10 years, because I thought I didnt like them. Now I own more buckers than singles.....

I see someone beat me to that suggestion, but that means it works for more than one person!

Mike R. likes this.