maybe satisfied - ESP strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mannish, Mar 29, 2015.

1. mannish

mannish Member

The early 70s ESP 400 series strat with seymour SS1s has pretty much kept all the other guitars at home.

I can't see me yearning for another strat - This is it.

my others have Fralin VHs, Chris Klein 69s but the duncan ssl1s is what it's all about - simple straight up great strat tone.

love the neck, the feel, the tone. Wonderful guitar - highly recommended

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

3. mannish

mannish Member

[​IMG]

4. bkatx

bkatx Member

Congrats, I'm in a similar situation.

I'm not a strat guy but I've tried and tried to like them and went through at least a half dozen over the years. The only one that stuck around is an ESP Vintage Plus that I got used at a very, very good price. The neck just felt right, I could never get along with the necks on strats until I found this one. So glad I found it, it quenched my stat lust.

5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

'maybe' satisfied?
    Not very convincing. !

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

The ESP Strats and Teles from that era/product line were best the Japanese companies had to offer, IMO, and better than the Fender stuff at the time if you wanted vintage specs. Simply killer guitars by any measure.

7. mannish

mannish Member

because I have thought that several times in the past :) so yes maybe satisfied this time

8. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

Not and ESP, but I have a mid 2000's Edwards(one owns the other, or something like that?) strat....kind of a relic'd vintage style, that I love. Came with SSL-1's. I put an SSL-5 in the bridge. Love it.

9. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

How's the SSL-1 in the bridge?
    I would have assumed it was too thin there.

10. mannish

mannish Member

works for me. I know a lot of people use SSL5 in the bridge but the ssl1 sounds fine to me. A 5 may sound better, I considered one but right now I am happy. I'll have to pay more attention to that and listen more critically.

11. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I couldn't agree more. These were awesome, awesome guitars. I had 3 of them. As I was in my early 20s and only playing a few years i went ahead and modded the crap out of them. I still have two but only the body is original. I alway regret those mods but it was the 80s and the era of the super strat.

12. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

I love both my ESP strats, nothing more to say really.
    the Duncans in the VP are great, dark and stratty. not thin like those two on the guess the custom shop thread the other day.

13. mannish

mannish Member

right here and now If I was going to buy a strat it'd be an ESP. No doubt about it I am sold.

I started with an ESP made Kramer Focus Classic and liked it it so I decided to get a ESP 400 - The Kramer Classic and ESP are definitely not the same though.