Maybe the best Strat out there?

T Dizz

Yeah, I want to hear from someone who has experienced that neck. Supposedly, the less surface ares that contact your hand makes, the less friction? :dunno

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
I tried the new Tele-style model and was very unimpressed. The people there were great, and I have nothing but good things to say for their customer service, taking the guitar back and refunding my money in full because of my issues, but the guitar was a disaster. The fretboard was super dry, the tone knob was installed crookedly, and the pickups sounded thin. There were other things. I reached out to them within 20 minutes of opening the box and had it on its way back the next day. They said the issues I brought up should have been caught in QC, but it was apparent, due to the nature and extent of the issues, nobody looked at it before boxing and shipping. They offered to try again, and swore it would be perfect, but I passed on it. So again, really responsive after the sale, but I was very unhappy with what was delivered.

Edit re: the neck, I'll take a standard satin or smooth finish over the Z-Glide. I didn't find it comfortable to play, but only had it a very, very short time. If that were the only issue, I'm sure I'd have gotten used to it. I don't believe it would have enhanced my playing in any respect whatsoever.

TheClev

As seen on TV
Please explain what it was.... been thinking of getting one. I expect to change pickups in most any Strat type I buy though...
It's an interesting idea, but it seemed to me they cut a lot of corners on quality, and it just didn't feel like a well-made instrument to me (I forget the model name, but it was a Strat variant). And the Z glide neck just isn't an improvement on a satin finish. In fact, if your hands sweat, it becomes distinctly uncomfortable to play because it feels like it's grabbing your hand.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Looks cool...might be a good mod platform if they get the QC issues under control. Well, all except for the 12" fretboard radius...deal killer for me :(.

Torren61

So, if you didn't have the cheese grater on the neck, your playing would be slower? Really?

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
I don't see any advantage to that neck at all. It would drive me crazy playing that thing and I'll bet an oiled neck is much faster than that is.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
While I understand the theory of less contact with the wood having less drag...I'd think the roughness of the engraving would make the situation worse with all the little edges to get caught on. Seems like it would be difficult to clean too if it got gunked up with the mud, blood, & beer in the heat of battle. Wonder if the guitar can be ordered without the neck engraving?

Guitarworks

I'd be eager to try one, just to determine either way if the z glide does what it claims. My first thought immediately upon seeing the photos is that it would feel uncomfortable. I would think a smooth surface going back and forth against your skin would be more comfortable than a rough surface. I would imagine that a smooth surface of satin lacquer or oiled wood on a neck back would be preferable to this. My next thought was that it would be a headache to keep clean, and all the moisture and grime trapped in the grooves would accelerate rot.

mjross

Silver Supporting Member
I have one and like it very much. Took a little while to get use to it but now I really like it. Very good experience with purchase. The guitar fit an finish was as good as any guitar I've purchased and believe me, I have way too many and I will leave it at that. I think it is an excellent value. YMMV...........

Peace

Trending Topics