Maybe the most ridiculous idea in MLB history

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by FlackBase, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Spot on.

2. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

The Rays should just have 31 “homes” and perpetually travel amongst them

Teleplayer likes this.
  3. Mojoworkin

Mojoworkin Supporting Member

If I understand this correctly (as locally reported), the "deal" would provide for 2 new stadiums. Appalling corporate greed! IMO, I think the time is past due for America to remove professional sports teams and their owners from the driver's seat.

4. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Dodger games start at 7PM week nights. Is that too late considering folks leaving work at 5PM allowing for very slow traffic, parking, standing in line to enter the stadium, line up for buying food and beverages, finding a seat. A 6PM start doesn't make sense.

5. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

Its a given, that you are leaving work early, with a show or other event at 7pm. I even do that, and rush hour here is a car in every lane ;)

My take, is there is a general anxiety and impatience in most folks lives. There is a mass attack of competition for your time, and we've gotten programmed to race from activity to activity. I can't imagine new generations enduring a full length concert or play, much less a baseball game. Maybe Tampa is revealing an emerging trend. How is MLB attendance trending?

6. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

MLB has jumped the shark. It’s a sport loved only by the old. Attendance numbers, outside of the “baseball towns” are in the terlish.

7. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Phoenix was always one of the last cities to get a pro team - even when it was getting to be one of the top 10 we had to settle for the St Louis Cardinals. Our first team was a Hockey Team. Then we had Arena Football.

Of course the Suns were always very popular and contenders for quite a few years - but no one ever thought we could do Baseball with our summers (Somehow it worked out). Now the Cards have a beautiful new field that can be completely indoors or open.

BUT - now I live in San Diego - a town where the football team left to play for "nowhere" - where the baseball team rarely even gets a mention and we have no basketball team. I think we have hockey (not sure).

FenderBigot likes this.
  8. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

To be fair, half the fans don't get there until the second inning and leave in the eighth anyway.

Peteyvee likes this.
  9. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Not any more ridiculous than the designated hitter.

10. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Blinded by TV revenue.

11. John C

John C Supporting Member

The Suns started play in the 1968-69 season; they were far and away the first pro team in Phoenix. The Cardinals carpetbagged from St. Louis in 1988, then the Coyotes (former Winnipeg Jets) in 1996-97 and the Diamondbacks in 1998.

San Diego doesn't have NHL hockey, but I think they have a minor league team. The city had 2 NBA teams over the years - the Rockets started there in the 1967-68 season but moved to Houston for 1971-72; then the Buffalo Braves moved there and changed there name to the Clippers for the 1978-79 season, but moved to Los Angeles for the 1984-85 season.

Being in a small market is tough for baseball in the modern (i.e. free agency) era; I grew up in Louisville KY as a Cincinnati Reds fan, and their "Big Red Machine" glory days was built on keeping players through the old reserve clause. Once free agency became part of the game they have had some years where they made runs but they can't keep the players - even with a nice new-style stadium to replace the old cookie-cutter Riverfront Stadium.

Now I'm in the Kansas City area, and saw the same process in action here - the Royals had a good, relatively young nucleus when we got here in 2012; they put it together starting around the 2014 All-Star break and went on a roll culminating in making it to the World Series that year with a couple of summer rentals, then continuing that roll in 2015 (adding some different summer rentals) to win the Series. Then the players started leaving, getting injured, etc. and the team is basically the 2nd worst team in the MLB this year. Granted Kauffman Stadium is now about the 6th oldest stadium in the MLB (Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium, and the Oakland Coliseum are older) but it's been nicely renovated as of 2010.

Even with a good stadium and decent local TV deal it's hard to keep a team together in the smaller markets - they can't compete with NY, LA, etc.

12. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

For the last 15 years you absolutely need an excuse. Bad calls, sun in the batters eyes, ANYTHING to explain how with billions more spent, a true home field advantage, and even several known PED users on the rosters, the Yankees couldn't reach the World Series more than the Rays, who have only existed since 1998.

FenderBigot likes this.
  13. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

Correct. The games will always be after 7pm. I've never heard of anyone wanting them to start sooner until this thread. Old timers who prefer early bird specials can always hit a matinee.

As far as the games taking too long, MLB dislikes that far more than any true baseball fan does. Evident by the dumb rule changes that are coming or are already in place. If you like to be in bed before 9pm then intentional walks and mound visits dont matter anyway.

14. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

OK, whatever. At least the Yanks had a chance to win it most of those years. Where were the Rays...one win, big deal

15. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

yanks? they draw 40,000 a game and ain’t going anywhere. what do they have to do with tampa drawing 14,000 and making excuses for twenty years?

16. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Dunno, but just to add some facts:

Yanks since 1999 - 20 Years: 16 Playoff appearances, 5 World Series (3-2) - so I'm pretty sure they don't need excuses. Has nothing to do with Tampa's attendance, but I didn't bring it up either!

QRSS likes this.
  17. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

18. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

oh, must’ve missed that.

i think the yanks win it this season or they’ll be shutout of the decade for the first time since the 80s.

19. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

Someone listed the population of metro areas above, but that doesn't accurately measure the TV markets, which is all MLB seems to care about. Also, it doesn't take into consideration the combined MSAs and TV markets. The only Top 25 TV markets without an MLB team are Orlando (18), Sacramento (20) Charlotte (22), Raleigh (24) and Portland (25).

Orlando makes little sense s1nce both Florida teams have trouble building a fan base, and Orlando is primarily tourists and transplants. Sacramento is less than 90 miles away from the Giants and As. By contrast, it’s a 5 hour drive from Raleigh to DC and a four hour drive from Charlotte to Atlanta, making NC the most remote location -- yet Orioles and Nationals games are blacked out in the entire state. Some of the most successful MILB franchises in organized baseball are in NC – Durham Bulls, Charlotte Knights, Asheville Tourists , Winston Salem Dash and Greensboro Hoppers, so there’s a huge fan base.

20 Years ago, there was a major effort to build an MLB stadium near Greensboro (between Charlotte and Raleigh) to attract one of the floundering teams. At the time, the Twins, Expos and Marlins were all in play. It never happened; but the region is a slam dunk if the powers-that-be would let it happen. It’s almost as if the state is being punished for their college baseball and minor league success. The above MSA chart excludes the Greensboro-Winston-Salem - High Point market, which sits at 1.6 million. Situated between Charlotte (2.6) and Raleigh (2.1) the total market within a two-hour drive exceeds 6 million, making it one of the largest markets both in terms of TV and attendance potential.

Crowder likes this.
  20. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

If it's loved only by the old where are all the players coming from? I agree that the game has headwinds and the attendance is down, but it's fanbase is broader than the "old".

1967SG likes this.