Maybe the most ridiculous idea in MLB history

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by FlackBase, Jun 20, 2019.

1. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

Do some reading on how MLB “recruits” young Dominican players.

fjblair likes this.
  2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Start times are mostly under control of the local team, unless it’s a nationally televised game. The local teams have a really good idea of what works for their fans.

I don’t know of any team in any pro or college sport who thinks 6PM is a good idea for a start time for a weekday night game. I imagine it’s possible that a college in a less populated area might be able to do it.

I also have never heard anyone say they wished night games started earlier before. Another first for TGP!

BlackbirdVintageMusic likes this.
  3. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

i wish the saturday/sunday matinee games would go back to two-o’clock. one o’clock tries to kill the local restaurants and force you to eat at the park. we showup late, right around two. the 4 o’clock saturday start time is perfect.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

My son and I were in Montreal the night the Raptors clinched. That town was ready for it. Two big street parties downtown...you could buy a We The North shirt practically anywhere that week...and Montreal is a long way from Toronto. I think a team would do well there and/or in Toronto.

As for the game itself and the fan experience at the games, I’d like to see smaller stadiums with fewer but better seats.

5. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

Greed?? You must be joking. This entire story is about an owner/front office that has defied all odds to put a contender on the field in the toughest division in sports. He bought into a club that had never had a winning season and completely turned it around. All he wants is for more than 15,000 people to show up to the games. MLB demands more than that actually.

Greed....

That's what the Yankee owners exhibit with their $800 seats in mostly empty lower infield sections. I know, I know, everybody's in the bathroom when the cameras show crowd shots.

You keep saying that, "making excuses" as if I or anyone with the Rays has done anything of the sort. The team has vastly over-achieved since 2008. No excuses have been needed, at all, for anything. The Yankees on the other hand have absolutely under-achieved during that time. I'll go ahead and provide the reasons (not excuses) for you...Girardi and Cashman. Luckily for NY fans, Boone is turning things around.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. BlackbirdVintageMusic

The Rays made the post-season in 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2013. During that time I believe Tampa Bay was the third or fourth most winningest team in baseball....despite having one of the lowest payrolls. Of course it was the Yankees who let the Rays into the post-season in 2011....

Wait....please tell me you remember game 162 of 2011. Known universally as the greatest regular season day in MLB history. The Yankees were up 7-0 in the 8th inning and blew the game, thereby handing the Rays a post-season spot. Second greatest choke in sports history, next to the 2004 Yankees ALCS debacle of course.

7. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

nope, don't recall it

8. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

100% on speeding up the game, but are people really clamoring for earlier start times?

Bottom line, they need to pick up the action and keep watchers engaged. All these homers flying out are doing nothing for the game as a whole. Sitting around waiting for the same thing to happen over and over is boring. Cultivate small ball and sprinkle in the hr

The split city team is one of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard. What free agent is going to sign up to live on the road for 2/3 of the year?

9. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

To be fair, 7 pm (officially 7:05) is probably as early as they can go in the regular season but 8 pm and now 8:30 starts for postseason games when national viewership and casual fan interest is highest are ridiculous, particularly when the actual first pitch is thrown after the official start time as ads and 'billboards' are crammed in.

Interesting info from a radio show from yesterday:
    -MLB bought Rawlings company ie manufacturer of baseballs
    -Scientific analysis revealed lower coefficient of drag (tighter seams) and higher coefficient of restitution (bounciness or liveliness) of baseballs after acquisition ie this season
    -'Pill' ie core of baseball revealed to be smaller and harder
    -Commissioner of baseball has now openly admitted this info
    -The MLB 2019 'juiced' baseball has been used in AAA ball this year with corresponding increases in HRs and/or distances
    -Commissioner says ball will be rolled back and/or redesigned for next season (let's not hold our breath)

10. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

Average attendance is still double what it was in the 60s and 70s. The fact that it's down slightly in the last few years should be a cause for concern; but it's still way higher than it was in the 80s or 90s. A good fix would be to eliminate the idiotic blackout rules, which diminish fan loyalty, and make the underperforming teams move. I don't care how much Miami spends on a stadium --- an average of 10,000 per game last year pulled down the league average and is proof that Miami doesn't deserve a franchise. Same with Tampa.

11. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Isn't doubling of attendance since the 60's related to population growth? There's probably 3x as many people to go to games now...maybe, I don't know for sure, but it seems likely.

I actually hate the way the game has evolved - pitcher's pitching one inning, home runs like crazy, no "small ball". But, I still go to a couple of games a year and watch a lot of Yankee games. My boys don't watch it at all. One played travel ball and through HS, but rarely, if ever, watches a game.

Then again, when I was 24 I don't think I sat around watching games much either...LOL

12. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis and Milwaukee actually have negative population growth,yet more people are showing up for games. There are a lot more distractions today -- more things to do, etc. And now every game is televised -- which has helped increase popularity and attendance instead of diminish it. It's still a game for young men with an audience of older men.... that was always the case and won't change. But there are enough 25-75 Y.O. men who are fans and can afford the ever-increasing ticket (and beer) prices. They'll bring wives, girlfriends and kids, and some of them will get the bug, too.

Old time fans can complain about the DH, middle relievers, "openers," juiced balls, domed stadiums and advanced stats; but the game is more exciting and the players are more skilled than ever. The slight decline in stadium attendance isn't that big of a deal in the big picture.

13. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

Why in the HELL are Astros games blacked out in Dallas (250 miles away)?

Scafeets likes this.
  14. John C

John C Supporting Member

Because Dallas is Rangers territory? You probably have to buy the MLB network package to get the "out of market" team games like the Astros.

15. BlackbirdVintageMusic

Everyone wants a faster game, and the Rays have nothing to do with that. I've actually seen their pitchers penalized for "quick-pitching" when the batter, catcher, and ump were all set in their stances. Strike down the middle waived off and called a ball. I guess the Red Sox and Yankees have trained the umps to expect three shake-offs and a batting glove readjustment per pitch.

Also, every free agent will sign up for full stadiums over empty ones. Every free agent, every time, even if the money was the same. The fact that more fans equals higher salaries trumps everything anyway. There's no home field advantage at the Trop by the way. One player currently has eight homers on the road and zero at home. The team as a whole is playing .526 ball at home right now and .609 on the road. Plus, the Montreal home-base will cut travel time down by thousands of miles per month. All of that weighed up against having to rent a condo for 3-4 months is a silly argument.

I watched the press conference with the Rays owner today. Whether this is a bluff or just a longshot bet, one thing is for sure, there won't be full-time baseball in Tampa Bay after 2027. Armchair baseball fans who haven't been following the Rays need to realize this. The team simply won't stay at the Trop. The owner does want an open air stadium here, which will save $300mil and give people one less thing to complain about. Building it in St Pete will save money too, plus it gives the mayor a reason to let them out of the current lease a little early. I hope it happens.