Mayer/Clapton Like strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PrestonBrick, Jul 17, 2008.

1. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Does anyone know of any stratocasters/copys that are made in america for around 700? I like black with either or rosewood or maple boards. Anything come to peoples minds?

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Used Am. Std.'s are in that price range.

Good luck in your search.

3. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

The California Strat is very close to the Mayer strat in design, except the Cali is sprayed with a heavy dose of poly and the neck may be slightly thinner. You can find one for $500+ I think. I have had one for 10 years and it's built like a tank, a real workhorse axe. I keep thinking I'd love an EJ or some better Strat, but the thought of what my 2yr old would do to it keeps me playing the Cali - it's the living room beater and plays better than almost any AM Standard I've tried.

4. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

thanks. i really like the 08's but havent seen many used

5. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

never heard of it. is it fender?

6. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

7. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

Here is a California Strat for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.com/97-Fender-Calif...hash=item300242361796&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

This is the HSS one I have, but the have SSS models as well. It has vintage hardware and is American for the most part - painted and maybe some other stuff done in Mexico. It was the pre-cursor to the Highway One strats, IMO the Cali's are just so much better, and better than the AM Standards as well. Great strats for the money! All you need is throw a couple of Dimarzio Area pups in there and your done.

I pick up more expensive strats all the time and I'm never feeling like the California Strat is "not good enough".

Rick

8. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Powerhouse Strats are similar to the Clapton models, with the db boost (12 instead of the EC's 25). Nice guitars too.

9. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Look for a used G&L Legacy. You can find them used in that price range. I have one and it's built better than my Am. Strat. Many people on this board swear they're as good as a lot of Fender CS Strats, and used, they're the price of a lot of MIM strats. Saw a beautiful ash/maple in the gear for sale emporium here in your price price range.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The Jimmie Vaughan strat gets great reviews and comes in black. Used they seem to go for around $450.00

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  11. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

i don't like the finish they put on those for the strats. i do like it on the teles though