• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mayer doin SRV's Lenny (studio version)

ImmortalSix

He's playing a PRS hollowbody now? Interesting
False. He just happened to play one at that show.

It's a common misconception among guitar geeks that John Mayer is just a Strat guy, but he plays all sorts of guitars. It's not out of the ordinary for a guitar nobody's ever seen him play to come out at a big show.

Right now for Battle Studies, he is playing a '52 Telecaster, a Gibson ES-335, a Fender Custom Shop "La Cabronita", a Gibson L-5, and, of course "The Black One" --- this is not information off a list, I've just been paying attention.

Don't tell anyone I'm a Mayer fan, I know he's a rather... polarizing musician.

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
I like Mayer- that was nice, a bit busy, but nice....and short.

You gotta have brass balls to put out SRV's signature song to begin with, and you gotta be incredibly naive if you think people aren't gonna criticize it from the get go......let the fun begin! I liked it, but I'll leave the negative comments to the naysayers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YIHvK5WN7I&NR=1

Now all we have to do is wait for the solo YOUTUBE covers of the Mayer version of the SRV version of the Hendrix version of the Earl King version of Come On Parts 5, 6 and 7, not necessarily in that order.

airwarrior

Haven't watched it yet, but...

In on the first page!

EDIT: Ehh. His playing still doesn't do anything for me. It just sounds like the same old derivative blues wanking to me. This particular recording just sounds like jamming on an SRV favorite, and doesn't really come close to matching any of the original energy. YMMV.

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
My favorite SRV song, he does a good job with it too.. love his touch. I don't like it as much as the original but it's still cool.

Great job JM.

It's Time!

Lenny may be a standard, but I would never record a song about another man's wife.

BTW, I didn't care for the light weight tone.

BPSUL

you gotta be incredibly naive if you think people aren't gonna criticize it from the get go

lol - I think he realizes he will be criticized regardless - so he just does what he wants.

I think I like Mayer even more BECAUSE he does things that make him polarizing - I just don't think he gives a damn.

bobgoblin

Silver Supporting Member
Lenny may be a standard, but I would never record a song about another man's wife.

BTW, I didn't care for the light weight tone.
Exactly what I've always thought. Great song, Mayer does a good job with it, but its weird (to me, anyway) to play a song written for another man's wife (unless you are Eric Clapton singing to Patty, right?)

Maven

Gold Supporting Member
Exactly what I've always thought. Great song, Mayer does a good job with it, but its weird (to me, anyway) to play a song written for another man's wife (unless you are Eric Clapton singing to Patty, right?)
I don't really see it that way. It's about the music, the emotion that it contains. I could personally care less about the origins of the song or who inspired it. Just my 2 cents on it.

Dizi

lol - I think he realizes he will be criticized regardless - so he just does what he wants.

I think I like Mayer even more BECAUSE he does things that make him polarizing - I just don't think he gives a damn.
If it were me I wouldn't give a damn either, because I'd be too busy doing all the cool **** he has the luxury of doing. Take time out from that to read this crap? Not a chance.

bluesjunior

I don't really see it that way. It's about the music, the emotion that it contains. I could personally care less about the origins of the song or who inspired it. Just my 2 cents on it.
Me too. How many of us haven't played Wonderful Tonight to a girlfriend or partner at one time or another.

hawkeye17

I really don't get why Mayer catches so much flack around here either. Good songwriter, very good guitar player who keeps improving, great tone, good sense of humor and great taste in women! I'm not really into his music but I respect him as an extremely talented guy who just seems to love the instrument...more power to him.

Trending Topics