Mayer on why he doesn't bring an amp to sessions anymore

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Strat-cat, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

It always turns into an argument about what’s better.

It’s what works for the situation, and makes you play better for it.

I love the new modelers, and have a Helix.

But I haven’t sold any of these yet... even tho they are collecting dust!

2. grantaustin

grantaustin Member

I don't know jack about recording. Isn't this approach the goal Les Paul worked towards? The low-impedence pickups, his perpetual hacking about with electronics, etc.

If you are gonna hate on Mayer for this then you'd have to kick Les's headstone too.

thomas4th, Dale and CobaltBlue like this.
  3. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Posts deleted, suspensions issued, warnings issued.

Violent comments towards members is not allowed (Yes JM is a member of TGP..or at least has been)
    Musician bashing is not allowed.
    General combative and threatening behavior is not allowed.

If you don't like the topic of the thread or the person discussed therein, either ignore it, or say your piece civilly and move on.

Also please don't respond to people breaking rules, it makes more work for the mod staff. Just report and move on.

4. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I was trying to figure out why the hate for someone you never met!

Dale and jordans0nly like this.
  5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I appreciate his opinion about the guys in the ‘60s, and tend to agree with him. If the stuff we have available today was available to them, they’d probably have a go at it.

A lot of the things we revere about the guitar and the associated workflow were created back then. Modeling amps would just be another part of the lore...like folks who chased the Revolution guitar tone. Just my .02

corn husk bag and bobcs71 like this.
  6. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

IMHO - it all about supplying his guitar parts in a popular loop format (MPC) for todays producers
    https://www.producerloops.com/Download-Akai-MPC-Format-Samples-Loops/

I know many pro guitarists who use Protools, simply because their recorded guitar tracks are in a compatible media format to be used with less pain by the producer.

Same paradigm argument as to why John Mayer uses an Akai MPC-X today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More about the Akai MPX-X
    Akai MPC X & MPC Live

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Theorist likes this.
  7. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Welcome to the new age...

I have a relative in Nashville and a friend in FL, both doing pro recording in their own studios. Both have shared with me that profilers and modelers are used the most.

They still had to mic my old Fender. Imma dinosaur.

8. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Makes sense given what's happening in "sessions" for commercial tracks right now. I get it. Modern productions are automated, factory affairs and there really isn't any room for something real in them for the most part. That they allow him to play an instrument is some kind of victory at this point.

9. meterman

meterman Supporting Member

Interesting....I get going direct to give the producer/engineer more control. Not sure why the drum machine, surely there are better AD converters in whatever studio he's working in. Also, I doubt they are reamping, probably just using amp sims which are OK but not as good as the real deal imho. I guess if the guitar is not the focus of the track it doesn't really matter that much to whoever is listening to it.

Also didn't care for the Jimi reference; Mayer is no Jimi. Although it is fun to imagine Hendrix playing on a Streisand song lol

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  10. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Yeah, that's true. I get asked to do some guitar parts for some friends' records and the last few years it's been all DI. Drives me nuts, but in some ways I think well, it's their record so whatever they want. I'm just finishing some recording with my own band I didn't do a DI because I was philosophically opposed. Guitar -> cranked marshall. That's it. My other band is about to start recording and the bass player is engineering and I've made a deal to split the signal so we'll get a DI but also record the amp sound as well. That's a win win I think.

nsnate02 likes this.
  11. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Member

I'm a 40 yr man who's not afraid to proclaim:

John mayer is a world class multi-faceted talent who is at the absolute top of his game and deserves nothing but respect.

End of story.

12. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

If you watch some of his videos you will see he is using an MPC Live, an Apogee One, and a small midi keyboard in his travel box.

WornFrets likes this.
  13. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

I think almost 50 years after his death, people can reference Jimi without saying that they're comparing himself to him.

14. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

I'm not sure why anyone would get themselves worked up about this other than blind mayer hate. He's telling traditionalists that the times are changing, which isn't going to be super popular of course, but it's good information from the real world, from someone who's at the top of the industry, on how people are really working.

15. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I don't see why this is unusual, except for maybe the MPC aspect. I've done stuff for local guys for dance radio as far back as 2002-2003, using a POD (the OG model). Bringing an amp wasn't practical, and everything turned out better than expected.

Hamer95USA, Dale and Anthony Newcomb like this.
  16. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Agreed. Even if you're not a John Mayer fan you should still be able to appreciate that he's saying something that directly relates to music and the advancement of the instrument. I'd rather hear that, then read all the tabloid nonsense about other musicians/"artists" that we're usually bombarded with.

Also, we know he's a big amp fan. He's not saying that his AKAI is better than amps. Just more appropriate for many sessions and certain styles of music.

LucasT, Anacharsis and Elantric like this.
  17. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Serious question, did you get a writing credit?

18. Otter351

Otter351 Member

You asked...

"but why not use a Helix, or AXE in this situation? He gives the producers the sounds asked for - and has the added benefit of providing additional sounds if needed"

I was responding to that, the producers don't want to sit around all day dialing in a sound while he's sitting here. Mayer comes in, lays down the DI tracks and flies out that very same day. As for why he uses that specific piece of equipment, he's probably just used to it.

19. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

I think it's interesting and I want to know more about how he is using it.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  20. 22Top

22Top Member

He’s likely given some scratch tracks to play with, and he records his guitar, direct & dry, then the producer will ‘reamp’ later.

And by reamp, I mean use a bunch of plugins.

I got into Ableton to build a serious looping rig that gives me some functionality not found in today’s pedals. It’s been a mind opening experience to think more about the guitar in context of the song. I did a demo ep while I was off after my son was born, just to complete a project. It really gave me an appreciation for producing guitar parts that lift the song to a higher level, rather than show off my guitar abilities. It’s well worth exploring