Mayer playing with Weir--does it work for you?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gas-man, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Yup, another Mayer thread.

Here's the specific question--does Mayer's playing "serve the song" to use a hoary musician cliche or FIT the song?

Do you like what he did here?

2. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I saw this when it was on TV. My first thought was, why is he playing SRV licks to a Greatful Dead song? I like Bob Weir and the Dead, always have. But it didn't seem like Mayer was trying to become part of the song. It reminded me of someone jamming along with a record the first time they heard it. He's in the right key, that's about it.

3. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

My first thought on Truckin' in particular was, it's not how Jerry did it nor how I do but if there's any Dead song bluesy pentatonic-based licks would fit, Truckin' at least gotta be in the discussion.

Here's the deal. Purists have their pluses - I'm one sometimes myself, admittedly - but they can also kill music or at least limit its survival and transferability. I don't want the Dead's music to fade away when the last generation who saw the Dead live (I include myself here) shuffle off this mortal coil.

Mayer is keeping the music alive while turning so many new listeners into the Dead. There's nothing wrong with that and a lot that's right. Jerry was very openminded himself towards covering others' music - who thinks the Dead's covers were faithful repro's of the original artists? - I believe Captain Trips would approve of JM playing his songs.

5. buzzp

buzzp Member

Maybe he wanted to try it in a different style he thought still fit the song? I didn't hate what he did though

6. Jon Silberman

geek-mo, that pic's hilarious. The best part is it's so inherently ambiguous, it's impossible to say what it's applying to so it got me thinking about both the OP and the second post. If you return and feel so inclined, perhaps you'll explain in words your reactions to the above. :)

7. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

It sounds fine to me. He didn't woodshed all the original licks, he just jammed along. It's nice to see the generations getting along.

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Agreed Jon. Great assessment!

9. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I thought his vocal playing was very good. Guitar playing via rhythm, was very good, some fills and lead parts were perhaps too blues like, or, not enough major scale, but that's his style for good or bad, if he just copped some Jerry like riffs, everyone would bash him for not being original enough.

Remember he's guest hosting a late night show on major network, which is nerve racking, then jumping out from behind the desk to play with Bob and band = not easy. I don't know if anybody here or anywhere could have pulled it off better than he did.

Keep above in mind before you comment, as well, he's singing/playing, rhythm guitar/playing, so it's more than just lead parts....no.?.

10. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

It was a lot better than I would have done :)

11. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

My first impression was the drummer really overplayed the cymbals. There's a metallic wash over most of the tune.

12. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

Drummer appears to be Jim Keltner. One of the tastiest and most restrained drummers ever recorded. I'm blaming crappy cymbal sound on the mix.

13. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

So is it not allowed at TGP to offer an opinion when it comes to John Mayer?
    My point was, Mayer has been playing a long time. He went to Berkeley College of Music.
    So it's not like he has limited musical knowledge.
    My impression was, he didn't add anything to the song.
    I'm sure he's familiar enough with it that he could have done something more creative. That's what the Dead were about, right?
    Instead, he just pulled out some standard cliché licks.
    I don't expect him to mimic Jerry Garcia. In fact, that would have been be a mistake.
    But he had the opportunity to play with Bob Weir. Personally, I would have reached down in my soul a little deeper than he did.

14. T92780

He went one year to Berkeley, so perhaps that should be clarified by you, as many might interpret that as 4-years. Not that it matters IMO to your question.

Perhaps that was Mayer reaching down into his soul, while also playing it a bit safe considering the gig he was doing that night....ever think about that.

Why did you elect to only rip his lead parts, and no other part in his playing via guitar and vocals? Was that the only fault you could find and want to troll on?

15. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

I thought his licks fit the song well enough, it was the tone of his strat that didn't do the song justice.

I also agree with what was said above about the mix. Too much cymbals. This version of the song is also lacking some keyboards. The Dead always had some tasty keys in there no matter who they had tickling the ivorys.

16. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I was referring to his performance which included the fills, not just his solo.

If someone doesn't share your opinion, they are a troll?
    I posted in this thread based on the OP's asking "does it work for you"

If you think I'm trolling, flag it for a mod to check it out.

17. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

It's not the Dead or even a Dead cover band so I think the idea that it should use their formula is a false notion. I thought Meyer did a fine job and the rhythm section laid down a great grove. The mix is not great as an album but for live television I think it's just short of exceptional. As a Tv performance with a guest guitarist/vocalist I think the whole thing is really good.

18. T92780

Perhaps he should played this guitar, changed his clothes and played more like this.....

19. T92780

My bad in only that I thought you were the OP, sorry. I disagree the only good thing he did was be in key...IMO.

20. Jon Silberman

No one denied your right to offer an opinion. Some of us simply disagree with you. Don't make it OK for you to disagree with Mayer's choices but not for anyone else to then disagree with you. OK? Now we can all get along. :)

[​IMG]