Mayflower Vs Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frank1985, Feb 8, 2015.

1. frank1985

frank1985 Member

I need an overdrive pedal to finally complete my ambient board, and I hear these are two of the best transparent drives on the market in that they preserve, to a certain extent, the guitar's original clean tone. Has anyone owned both, and if so, what would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of each unit?

2. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

I don't have any first hand experience, but I'm pretty sure the Mayflower copied the Timmy circuit (maybe there's some tweaks, not sure).

3. papersun

papersun Member

Mayflower is WAY smoother . . . not sure about the circuitry. They can't be too far apart.

4. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Mayflower is a Timmy with buffers. Save your money and buy the Timmy.

5. J-Walk

J-Walk Member

I've owned and gigged both alot... they cover similar territory, but they are not the same. I strongly prefer the Mayflower. I find it smoother and slightly less transparent in a good way. OMMV I'm sure. My buddy likes the Timmy better. Both are worth the price.

6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I think the EQ's are quite different with the Timmy being pretty flat and the Mayflower having a strong mid push.

-bEn r.

7. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

No they're not. The difference is that the taper on the Mayflower's bass/treble pots is ****. The bass and treble are all bunched up at the top end, and the Mayflower has less treble at max. All of the tones in the Mayflower are in the Timmy. Flip the toggle to low headroom symmetrical and limit the pot ranges. This is becoming the most common trick in the book for "boutique" guys making an overdrive.

8. tanee

tanee Member

The mayflower wasn't that impressive. I think the art is what sells them the most. Even that is going down hill.. I don't see walrus audio lasting too much longer.

9. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

10. FoolOnThePlanet

FoolOnThePlanet Supporting Member

You might retract that statement after seeing what they put forth at NAMM!

11. tanee

tanee Member

I absolutely hate their art from the NAMM offerings. Nothing really blows me away effect wise. Anolog delay with tap tempo that's overpriced.. yay!

12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Voyager was bad. That's my only experience w Walrus. Timmy is s great pedal, wish I still had one. Will buy again in the future.

13. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Hey negative nancy, they haven't even released price. How do you know it's overpriced?

I love my Mayflower. From every demo I've heard of a Timmy I certainly don't hear the same pedal.

I also love my Jupiter fuzz. I had a fuzz sound in my head that I wanted and this perfectly suited what I heard in my head.

14. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Doh!
    You're right.

I was thinking of the Voyager.

-bEn r.

15. telepunk

telepunk Member

I personally like the Mayflower. I agree it is like the Timmy but smoother. I don't agree that you can make the two sound identical. Maybe if you do a chip swap or something. They are similar, but the Timmy is a touch grittier. I honestly don't care who did what first and when. I just want something that sounds good to me. There really isn't much new under the sun, especially when it comes to overdrive pedals.

16. thekeefus

thekeefus Supporting Member

I much preferred a Tim/Timmy over the Mayflower. Mayflower had an odd fuzziness to the gain that bugged me. Sounded like clean tone bleeding through with fizz behind it.

17. Hcklr

Hcklr Supporting Member

+1

That's a good way to describe the Mayflower. I still thought it sounded alright back when I had one, though.

18. frank1985

frank1985 Member

I actually went ahead and bought the Mayflower - there's something about it which I like based on the YT demos I've watched - it has a nice 'airy' quality to it.

19. Enusire

Enusire Member

I have them both. The Timmy is on my board at the moment.

I agree, the Mayflower breaks up much smoother than the Timmy.

The Mayflower is imho not as transparent as the Timmy. The MF is a more midranged pedal.

Another point which is probably important for you:
    If I turn the gain all the way down at the Mayflower it still breaks up. I can not use it as a totally clean boost. But I have to admit that I just use humbuckers. The Timmy can work absolutely as a clean boost and what I love the most about the Timmy, it can just add a HAIR of grit to my clean signal - and that in a dynamic way. If I strum very light it´s absolutely clean and if I strum hard, it adds a hair of gain.

For me the Mayflower makes a good job at the lower gain settings, for the medium/higher gain settings it is a little bit to unaggressive imho because as I mentioned above it is very smooth. But I think if you would stack it with e.g. a Timmy :D you would have a very good-sounding medium gain overdrive.

The best on both are the seperate BASS and TREBLE knobs. On both pedals they are very effective. So you can easily adjust the pedals to whatever guitar/amp you are using.

So both have their own characteristics and both are imho good and well build overdrive pedals.

Just read that you bought the Mayflower. Congrats, I would love to hear your impressions. :munch

20. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

Full disclosure: I'm a bit of a Walrus fanboy so take my two cents for what they're worth. For those that are saying that the Timmy and the Mayflower are the same pedal - with respect - they've never played the two at the same time. Sure, they're both a low-mid gain OD with 4 knobs. That's about where the similarities end. The Timmy's EQ is all subtractive (cutting highs and lows) where the Mayflower has the typical controls to roll in either frequency. Where the two go completely separate ways is the clean blend that's on the Mayflower. Some like it, others hate it. I think it sounds fantastic into an amp that's already breaking up a little so that the "clean" blend has some OD on it too. The Mayflowers gain sturcture is very smooth too where the Timmy is a bit more punchy and aggressive (this is more apparent on the higher gain settings for each pedal). Much more compression on the Mayflower at higher gain settings too.

Bottom line though, I could buy an argument for a Mayflower comparison to maybe a Sparkledrive...but not to a Timmy. I had both on my pedalboard for a long time together and they never once felt redundant.