Mayo users.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 12guitdown, Mar 20, 2008.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Just curious as to where you place your Mayo in the chain and how you use it.
    This is in regards to other ODs, dist, comps, and/or treble boosts. In other words, you don't have to list 10 modulation effects after the dirt.

Just trying to figure out where I should place mine. Right now my order is;
    >Signa Comp >ocdv1 >Helios >Mayo

The comp, ocd and helios get along in any given combination and I only use the mayo for solos. This does get a little noisy though. So i'm thinking of getting an A/B looper; one loop for the mayo alone and the other loop for the three.

Thoughts?

2. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

When I ran one it was third in line after a tuner and wah. Didn't really stack in with other drives or modulation effects. It sounded pretty good on its own and worked well with a Clyde Deluxe with a foxrox kit in it.

3. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I don't worry too much about where it is as long as it's after my Screw Driver, which I use to boost it sometimes (many times with the Mayo's sustain dialed way low---great touch sensitive tone, and fat!). Aside from that, I just step on it and go ... awesome pedal.

4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

After another dirt pedal like a boost or overdrive but otherwise right after wah effects but before all the mod and delay/volume pedal/ooh wah/ring mod.

5. froglord

froglord Member

Mayo > BB > RC

Mayo set like this:
    Sustain: 9:00
    Volume: 9:00
    Tone: 3:00

Stacked into the RC, which is set:
    Gain: 9:00
    Volume: 5:00
    Treble: 1:00
    Bass: 1:00

Going into a slightly overdriven single-ended 6v6 amp.

It took me a long time to find the right settings and the right place for the Mayo in the chain. Having said that, I might give BAN's setting a go and see what it's like with the RC boosting the Mayo. So many variables!

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

This is what I'm going into too. Star Nova. Is that what you have?

7. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

My mayo is also a bit noisier than all of my other effects.
    sus 9:00
    vol 9:00
    tone 3:00
    With these settings, HB mode, when the note starts to decay, the hissing starts to take over. And this is only with the Mayo pulled out of the chain. It just seems the pedal could be a little quieter.

It is the transistor, I know. I'm wondering if your Mayo
    is like this.

8. froglord

froglord Member

No - it's a Matamp Minimat (mk I). Lovely amp.

With these settings the hiss is almost completely inaudible, certainly no worse than my BB Preamp. However, I can certainly get hiss if I push the gain higher, especially with single coils.

9. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

There must be something wrong with mine. I should send it in to the man himself.

10. john b

john b Supporting Member

My Mayo is pretty quiet. I run it after a wah and comp but before my o.d's. It doesn't seem to want to stack with anything but that's cool because it's such an awesome pedal on it's own.

11. emjee

emjee Member

I was concerened aboout the noise too, I contacted Marc and he said this is typical for Mayo's. He suggested the same settings as froglord (except w/the tone at noon)and now it is barely audible. I would suggest pulling the tone back a bit, I notice the hiss more when its high. I am using a BJF HB after and sometimes a COT 50 before. Noise is just the nature of the mayo I do believe. In a live setting with a band I doubt the hissing would be too bothersome, though dont know for sure.
    I have been thinking of maybe a Boss NS2 but I'm afraid it'll suck tone.
    Good luck
    MG

12. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

Hiss is not a concern. My obvious solution is to not stop playing. But unless you're standing feet within your half stack, just turn the volume pot on your guit down a little. Roll it back up when you step forward to rock.

13. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

On my pedalboard, I have two or three low to medium o/d's, one distortion pedal, then my Mid's switch Mayo, then a boost pedal. I use my Mayo as a ultra gain thick focused Distortion/fuzz

14. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Who else can tell me about the noise, if any, with their Mayo?