Mayo vs. DA MOAF... anyone tried both?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhc, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I'm looking to pick one or the other up. Unfortunately I can't try them ahead of time, and I certainly can't afford both right now. So if anyone has A/B'd these, I'd love to hear some thoughts.

I'm basically looking for a good lead Muff-type fuzz that will work well with humbuckers.

Thanks.

2. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Go with a Euthymia ICBM.

3. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Well I have both of these.
    I also have a Mayonaise, and Ernie, and a Zero.
    Out of the two listed, I think the Mayo meets your need better, but let me explain.
    The Mayo is a gritty, full sounding and THICK Muff sound. For leads I love it. Marc has a very special touch when making these pedals. IT has a vintage vibe to it too which I love. It is not quiet when you are not playing though, so it is something to consider.
    The MOAF is more versatile though. I like it better with chords. And twisting the knobs some you can go from OD, to distortion, to Fuzz. So it is a very versatile pedal. It has great tone as well, although I don't think its Muff tone is on par with the Mayo IMO. If versatility is what you need though definitely go with the Moaf.
    But if you want a great thick Muff tone, definitely go with the Mayo.......and if you do, tell Marc that James sent you. :dude

4. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Thanks Mojoman - that's why I love this place. Where else can you find someone who has at least 5 boutique Muff fuzzes, at least two of which are out of production. :dude

I've heard that the MOAF is a little smoother than a typical reissue BMP... would you say it's smoother than the Mayo?

And just out of curiosity, out of the 5 you mentioned, what's your personal favorite?

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

mojo: would you sell the MAyonaise??

6. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Kaiser: NO WAY!!!!! :D Sorry, but I love that pedal......it is very smooth and creamy and lovley. But it is always worth asking.....thats how I got mine.

jhc: Yeah, I love the sound of the Big Muff......the Moaf is smoother.....not creamy smooth like the Mayonaise, just a little more polite to my ears. But it really is a great sounding pedal, especially for the money you get them for on ebay.
    Which is my favorite? Thats tough.....Marc's designs are all great and unique as well. THey all sound like Muff's, but they also all have a unique voicing to them. I guess it would be between the Mayonaise and the Ernie though. THey both are just amazing pedals.....although the Zero has some great lead tones in it.......and the Mayo has that vintage vibe....well today we will stick with the Mayonaise and the Ernie.
    BTW - Also have a Top Fuel on its way......all custom graphics....it is going to be very cool....cannot wait to post pics. I am such a pedal slut.
    :eek:

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

never played a Moaf but, had a mayonaise,zero,ernie and still have the Mayo, and its my favorite so far..... its a little grittier than the others which after awhile is a good thing, my ears dont get fatiqued with the saturated sound the way they did with the others ... but I think I did like the very lowest distortion settings of the Ernie better....
    Its also going to depend alot on which speakers you use and the overall EQ of your rig especially +/- mids....

8. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Man, this thread is juist making me want to buy both of these now... arrgh! :)

9. moodog

moodog Member

I have a da moaf and my friend used to have a zero. I had a chance to a/b them both up against my original triangle big muff pi (early 70's) and a late 70's in-line (knobs) big muff pi.
    I agree with Mojoman that the zero has a vintage tone. But it sounded more like the late 70's in-line bmp. I'm not a big fan of the later year bmp's (late 70's and reissues). For a while my late 70's bmp was a backup for my early 70's triangle and I wanted to take my triangle off my board and get a zero. After the a/b it never happened.
    I got a da moaf and wooooooe-nelly. The da moaf nailed my early 70's triangle to the T. And like mojo said it was even more versatile. Just like my triangle bmp, it sounds smoother than the late 70's models. I think that EH was using cheaper parts during these years and thus the tone suffered as a result.
    So I guess it's subjective. If you love the later year bmp's the zero might be your bag. I will tell you this, my da moaf is not going off my board any time soon!
    As far as the mayo, I have not had a chance to check it out. I think it just came out, I’ll have to wait till one pops up used as the little lady has me on a leash...

:horse