1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We've added some "new" guys to the moderator crew. All are longtime members that stepped up to the invite to help out by volunteering their time and effort to help the membership experience on TGP stay on the even keel. A special thank you to the 'new' guys that helping out. The new moderators are Mike Duncan, Stormin, ford, Teleplayer, and PurpleJesus A thread on the announcement is here!

Dismiss Notice

Maz 18 - Hum - Humidity

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by AlexT, Jun 27, 2003.

1. AlexT

AlexT Guest

I posted basically the same question last year (with no feedback), at the beginning of the humid season. Same thing happened this year, my Max 18 hums for less than a minute (until it warms up), then goes back to normal.

Did anyone experience the same issue on an 18? Should I be concerned?

AlexT

2. johngalt

johngalt Guest

I've got a Maz18. I have never experienced any such thing. I do keep my guitars and amps in a humidity controlled room when not playing out. Since the problem clears up shortly after powering up. It's a good assumption that moisture is evaporating - moisture that is compromising a connection somewhere. Since the tubes are the source of most of the heat, my bet it is a bad tube contact. Suggest you pull the tubes, clean the pins and treat with ProGold before reinserting.

3. AlexT

AlexT Guest

Thanks, Jonh. Very good point, I didn't tink about it (I will try starting from the power tubes as soon as humidity is back high again).

BTW, what is ProGold?

Alex

I wish I could control humidity, no chance in a condo in Boston in Summer :(

4. johngalt

johngalt Guest

ProGold is a contact cleaner/enhancer that is certified for use in high temperature application - like tube pins. You can get the juice from Lord Valve among other places.

5. Mike Roberts

Mike Roberts Member

ProGold is made by Caig Labs... they have contact cleaners and treatments for special purposes... rotary switches, high temp applications, etc.

Great stuff. Highly recommended.

Here's a link to their site.