Maz 18 vs Budda SD18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by troublehead, Jan 25, 2012.

1. troublehead

troublehead Member

I've narrowed my search to these two amps. I'lll be using the head version through Greenback loaded cabs playing alt. country/rock with a telecaster 90% of the time. Looking for good pushed cleans and fat, responsive overdrive.

Can anyone compare the two? I have general ideas, but it would be great if someone has played both. Voicing, effectiveness of master, gain on tap, etc.....

Thanks in advance !

2. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the overdrive on the Budda is much, much better. I've owned a MAZ 18 NR combo.

I've owned a BUdda SD30 for a long, long time and played the 18 several times.

I also like the clean channel on the Budda... it has a pretty sweet Voxy tone to it...not exact....but in that vein in my opinion.

The Maz is said to be super versatile..... but I just didn't bond with it. I didn't like the Vox type tones I was trying to find... nor the Fendery type tones that are in it if you dial back the mids....

The masters on both seemed to work well, though I also thought the Budda was better at lower volumes.

You might also look into the 30... I think it's a bit darker than the 18..which is great with a tele type guitar....

You can find them at great prices used.. you should be able to get a head around 800-900....1000 at the most..

3. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Never owned an SD-18, but I owned a (Budda) Stringmaster 30 (handwired head - vaguely similar to an SD-30), and a 2x10 MAZ 18 Junior combo. The MAZ 18 sounded fine for clean ro semi-clean stuff, but didn't have a lot of gain. If you wanted gain, you needed to stick a pedal in front. Probably be great for country/country rock, though. Not enough gain to suit me and the style(s) of music I play, so I sold it. My impression is the SD-18 has a LOT more gain.

4. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician Supporting Member

For that kind of music, I would use the Maz. This is coming form a Budda nut. All 3 amps I currently own are Budda's, but I must say Dr.Z is a very close second and for the alt country stuff with a tele the Dr.Z is going to deliver what you want. An SD-18 will leave you wanting more.

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I too was at this crossroad a few years back. I actually bought the Maz 18 NR and was very disappointed with it. Very stiff, harsh sounding amp IMO.

I sold it then bought the Budda SD18. Amazing amp. Great 3D cleans, monster dirty channel, really fun amp!

The Budda killed the Maz IMO.

6. jhumber

jhumber Member

I've owned both, and replaced the SD18 with the Maz.
    I love the Maz, it's a huge sounding amp, great clean platform. However, I wouldn't use it to get thick overdrive on its own - I have pedals in front for that. The OD channel on the Budda was something else, really thick and responsive - sadly mine had a few reliability issues so I got rid of it. I'd like to try another someday to see if the OD was really as good as I remember. Again, from memory, the cleans weren't a patch on the Maz.

7. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

for clean chicken pickin' tones the Dr. Z would be better. Having said that there is really no thick overdrive tones on board at all. The Budda has one of the very best lead tones out there and the clean channel is killer too. Couldn't go wrong with either but for me the Budda is the winner. I am in a cover band and we do everything from Waylon Jennings to Alice in Chains and the Budda does it all without breaking a sweat.

8. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I own a Maz 18 NR head and it EATS pedals! The Maz is great for dialing in a sound with a bit of hair on it at a reasonable volume and then slamming that signal with an OD for greatness.

P.S. The Maz is a LOUD 18 watts!

9. captainbrew

captainbrew Member

The other guitarist in my band uses a MAZ 18 2x10 combo with reverb with an Eastman semi hollow, g&l legacy and an SG and it's an AWESOME amp. Period. Can do a nice fat clean tone, sweet blues tones and some nice medium grit rock tone. Takes pedals really well. (he uses a FDII and a Diamond booster) Seriously an awesome amp.
    I play a Matchless Chieftain 1x12 combo. The maz is every bit as good but obviously a different tone and less overall gain available.

You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/oldstereoband

10. benxiwf

benxiwf Member

I also own a Maz 18. As has been described, the amp does not have much breakup, particularly with single coils until higher volumes and Im sure much less breakup than the Budda. If you want something with a great sound at low volumes, the Maz is not it. It is definitely a club/stage amp and lacks in punch until given some volume. At home it sounds like a dud next to my Tiny Terror, but in a large space, it shines. Also has better low end than probably any 112 I have played