Maz jr speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by saucyjack, Jan 7, 2008.

1. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Trying to optimize my DR.z combo,it's a 2x10.Currently have a Weber Silver bell and the stock Dr Z.Looking to replace the Dr.Z speaker with something.

Despite Beam blockers and tube swaps the amp still seems a bit harsh in the high end and and would like later breakup with more defined lows and clarity/punch.
    Overall just seems too bright and would like a bit more muscular sound without losing some sparkle.

What speaker would work best with Silver bell?

2. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

OK,
    So I'm thinking about sending the Dr.Z stock speaker to Weber for a recone/redo.

What should I ask for to smooth out the highs,tighten up the lows and get a bit more headroom/punch?

3. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

I'm thinkin' you need a Tone Tubby ceramic 10".

4. zion

zion Supporting Member

Weber Blue Pup

5. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

I'm not a huge Blue fan.
    The Tone tubbies sound interesting.

Ted has recommended a recone with the 10VS(ceramic)specs.
    Anyone use this speaker?

6. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

7. hardys

hardys Member

I'm using a Scumback H75-HP in my Maz Jr. and love it do death. It's nice and warm in the mids, good & tight lows and sweet highs. Compared to a G12H, Blue, Gold or Greenback, I can run my treble, mids & cut controls much higher. This speaker has the uncanny ability to be warm and chimey at the same time. Just juicy and lush with a lot of harmonic complexity.

I have tried a G12H, Blue, Gold, Greenback, Vintage 30, Tonker, Wizard, Swamp Thang, Cannabis Rex & Weber Blue Ceraimic in the MAZ and have settled on the Scumback.

8. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Sounds like want I want but looks like the 10 inch version is a bit different according to the Scumback website.

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Well, there are two SA10's. The SA10M is like an M75, the SA10H is like the H75. Either speaker can be ordered in 30 or 75 watt models.

I'd probably lean towards the SA10H for pairing with the SB, or go with an SA10M/H mix for a really huge sound with slightly bumped up midrange (from the M).

10. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

11. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Ok, My Maz 210 sounded a bit harsh as well..I don't have it anymore but if I did I think I would try the new Celestion 10" Greenbacks if they are sold in the correct ohm rating to work for you...my MAZ had 2 16ohm 10s and only an 8 ohm output hole, but if you have a 4 ohm hole you are good to go. These are too new for anyone to have tried them I guess, but might be worth a shot. Good luck, it's a great amp.

12. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Thanks ,
    Just got back from a gig.
    I think I going to get Weber to recone one of my Dr.Z speakers into a Vs10 and see what that does.
    I'm really loving the tones from the Maz but gigging at times I feel I need more headroom and clarity.If you push it past 50% on the master volume it really won't get louder but more overdriven and too mushy for me.It gets loud enough but need more clean headroom...I'm not sure a speaker swap is going to get me there... probably need to look a different amp....I may try my Super Reverb