MAZ Sr. vs. Fargen Blackbird 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Craftmatic, May 12, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Might seem like comparing apples to oranges but I still want to know what people who are familiar with both think. My priorities are beautiful tone at any volume - low to high - and best all-purpose amp for most venues.

2. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

You are comparing apples to oranges!;)

I've owned them both before, and both are great amps. My opinion:

The Maz leans more towards Marshall/Vox tones, and has a master volume. It crunches up better than it sparkles.

The Fargen gets you closer to BF Fender tone, generally clean until you crank it. No master vol. Sparkles better than it crunches.

4. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I know I am but I still need feedback like yours. ;) I want something very touch sensitive, something that even sounds good when you play it at low volume.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Well considering you already have a Maz Sr, and you have a BF Fender Tremolux, you have a pretty good comparison right there. Add reverb to the Tremo and you'll be close to the Fargen.

"Beautiful tone at any volume" is a pretty big order:D....you may need to define your goals a bit better if you want to narrow things down.

6. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

My Tremolux doesn't quite sound right, it needs work. I've had it forever and haven't really played it that much. Until I find the right amp tech for it, I can't use it as a comparison. The MAZ is great but it is so different than "what I was brought up on" that it is hard for me to be objective about it. It's never easy making any kind of comparison unless you have the amps side by side and can play though them. I'm just looking for other, more experienced viewpoints.

7. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Have you considered something like the Reeves line, either their Hiwatt inspired amps or the Custom 30 which is like a 2/3 Hiwatt 1/3 Marshall. The Custom 30 has power scaling. I auditioned one and while I didn't keep it looking back on it I still think about it and should my finances allow it would be an amp I would consider in a heartbeat. Unique cleans and can get all wound up. The reverb was fantastic sounding as well.

I had a Fargen Blackbird as well (30 watt) and it was a great amp, but I prefer the more pushed blackface tones and it got loud with out a master volume.

-Seth

8. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I heard "beautiful tone at any volume" at the NY Amp Show when I played the Bogner Duende, however it will be a long time before I can afford something like that. It is Fender 6V6 based, BTW. It was warm, lush and alive. As it says on the Fat Sound site, it "breathes."