MAZ18NR vs Route66

josh.rigaud

I have a maz. Like it a alot. Thinking about swapping it for a RT66. The Rt66 is a 32W amp but based on some research Im seeing people write that the maz has more headroom? Is this true? I actually want more headroom than I have in the maz which i why I was interested in the RT66 in the first place.

I would take a Rt. 66 over any Maz I have heard....18 or 38. Personal thing on the tone and YMMV..... The Rt. 66 has BIG sounds, imho....although it has a different topography, the result to my ears is very much akin to a 5F6A Bassman amp. I would be very much surprised if...side by side...a Maz 18 could produce the same level of clean through the same speakers as can a Rt. 66. Maz 18 is 2 x EL84's in cathode bias while the Rt. 66 is two KT-66's in fixed bias. ???? I can control a preamp and the guitar input, but the difference in those two outputs tell me which one has more headroom at that end of the circuit.....it is the big amp.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
I'll add to the opinion so far.

I have had a Maz 18 and a Route 66. Actually owned both at the same time. I sold the Maz after a while. Decent amp but the 66 was flat awesome. It was a head , used w/ a Z Best 2X12 cab. Monster tone. It was my main amp for 5 years. I sold it to fund a Korg era AC30 6/tbx. Sure wish I could have kept the 66.

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think the 18 has more clean headroom than the 66. The 66 is a very loud amp. They sound pretty different IMO. The 66 is big bold and always thick sounding.

Roccorobb

66 and Ghia are the best amps I've ever heard from Z, though to be fair I haven't heard anything newer than the Rx in person. But yeah, get the 66. If you don't mind the inconvenience of having a bigger amp, it just flat out completely outshines a Maz.

motokev

both are loud clean amps. I'm sure where ever you play, they will tell you to turn it down. Both can sound purty good at low volume with the right cab.

bigben55

The Z28 2x10" would 1)give you more headroom, especially with the Z blue label 10's, and 2)give you some of the Rt66 flavor. Same tone stack, same EF86 preamp tube.

bigben55, do you have a schematic of the Z-28? The Rt. 66 is commonly available. Does teh Z28 run a ultralinear OT? I have read that the Z28 has a cathodyne(split load) phase inverter? IS this so?
UL versus non-UL, cathodyne versus the LTP in the Rte. 66, and cathode versus fixed biased make for a different amp, ime.

DR.Z

Platinum Supporting Member
bigben55, do you have a schematic of the Z-28? The Rt. 66 is commonly available. Does teh Z28 run a ultralinear OT? I have read that the Z28 has a cathodyne(split load) phase inverter? IS this so?
UL versus non-UL, cathodyne versus the LTP in the Rte. 66, and cathode versus fixed biased make for a different amp, ime.

I'll answer your questions SW, but first threw the years I have listened to the critics of the MAZ 18 and I diligently worked on removing the reported worts.
Many posts are from impressions of older MAZ 18's, I believe if you try a late model one opinions might change.

Ok as for the Z -28 / RT 66 comparison:
The Z -28 has a traditional OT, the Kinkless Tetrodes ( i.e. KT 66 ) were designed to originally operate in Ultra Linear configuration.
The schematic for both amps are almost identical, some smaller cap values for the Z 28.
The Z 28 has a non NFB LTP PI, the same as the RT 66.

Z

Last edited:
Thank you for that response. See what one can read on the 'net......I wish I had copied what I read this morning because they obviously had it all wrong concerning the phase inverter.
So the Z-28 is in essence very much a 'small' Rte. 66. I appreciate the information. I think the Rte. 66 is a great amp.
I had never read or heard that the KT-66...or any other tube...was developed with the UL OT in mind.
I knew that it--the 'kinkless tetrode'--- was developed to avoid infringements on Mullard's design of the pentode vacuum power tube.
Fwiw, I am embarking on a build of a Carmen Ghia type amp soon since I just tore down a Hammond M-111 and have a really nice A)-35 sitting here.

coreybox

The Route 66 and Maz amps sound different. If you REALLY love the Maz 18, and just want a louder version, then the Maz 38 is the best, and most obvious, choice.

The Route 66 sounds great, and you'd probably like it too. It will have more headroom than the 18 (not much though), but less than the 38.

I find the R66 similar to the Maz in that both have really tight bass. The R66 will not flub out on the bottom. Both amps have a very "immediate" and uncompressed attack. The R66 can get pretty bright, but not as bright as the Maz.

The R66 will have more mids, and you can't dial it out. It's a pretty flat, HI-FI kind of EQ. The lows and highs are natural, tight, but not overextended. The mids are pronounced, as compared to most guitar amp's scooped mids. It's not a tube screamer, but it is most definitely not scooped.

The Maz will have a more polite, more jangly sound because of the mid scoop and extended highs. The R66 will sound thicker, or more congested (depending on where your preferences lie).

Neither do high gain; but seem to excel at rhythm. I found the Maz slightly piercing doing overdriven leads. I found the Route 66 to get sorta fuzzy cranked.

KT66 and EF86 tubes are more expensive, and have had reliability issues with new production.

Both are cool. I'd personally probably stick with the Maz 18, which I found to be a loud and versatile amp. Get a Fryette PS if you really just need more headroom. A Maz 38 could be another good option if you truly just want more headroom. If you're looking for a new sound, well then the R66 might be what you're looking for.

Last edited:

bigben55

Awesome the the good Dr replied!!!

I don't have my Z28 anymore. Stumbled into a great trade for a 1966 Super Reverb, which is "the holy grail of amps" to me. But the Z28 was my #1 amp for 3 years and id have zero qualms about buying one again in the future. Cranking it to the 3-3-3 knob setting was glorious, but too loud. I'd get a 1x12 with a greenback and a Z Brake Lite. But I'm not a high headroom guy. The 210 with Z speakers yielded more than I needed. Awesome awesome amp though!

Felix Leclerc

I've tried both and kept the 66 (going on 10 years as my only amp) and Coreybox pretty much nailed it on the head.

Now I can't really speak for the man but the 66 makes almost any pedal shine.

ripple

With Kung Fu Grip and Lifelike Hair
Gold Supporting Member
I'm probably the biggest Route 66 homer on this board, and for very good reason. It's a GREAT amplifier and cuts through a live mix like no other amp I've ever owned. (I've also owned a Maz 18, 38 and a Z28, and the Z28 is my second fav of the bunch.)

Get the Route 66.

Seriously.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom