MBox 2 and Saffire...pros/cons?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cocheese, Nov 1, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I had a first generation MBox and didn't care much for the sound quality. Is the MBox 2 that much different? Would the Saffire be a better unit for at home recording, just me, making clips?

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

First, to answer your question, according to Digi the MBox 2 preamps are better than MBox 1, but I have not heard them.

I'm pretty sure Saffire will not work with ProTools.

What didn't you like about MBox's sound? I think its sound quality relative to its price is one of its best features. I've used it for remote tracking sessions and it sounds great. Anyway, better is better...

Just a suggestion, but maybe what you were hearing that you didn't like had nothing to do with MBox...?

3. cocheese

It was just brittle and harsh sounding; really nothing like the sound that was coming out of the cabinet. My dad has Pro Tools and that might be cool for teaming up on projects...

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If you haven't ditched the MBox 1 yet, don't. There's not enough upgrades on MBox 2 to justify swapping it out, IMO.

What mic are you using and how are you placing it?

5. cocheese

Well, I sold the Mbox about a year ago and thought I'd try a more high-end setup. I bought a Lynx 2 card, new PC, Samplitude 8 Pro, some Event monitors, and a Great River Mp-2nv preamp. It was WAY too much for me! I just want a simple setup that sounds good. I couldn't even get my nicer setup to work at all. After literally 3 weeks of tech help, trying to trouble shoot everything, I threw in the towel. I sold everything but the pre and the monitors. I have a couple of 57's, a 421, and an AT4050, but now no way to get stuff into the computer. I really just want something:

1.) inexpensive

that

2.) sounds good

and is

3.) easy to use.

Am I asking too much?

Maybe one of the M-powered boxes would be good?! :confused:

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Maybe. I don't know anything about them.