Mbox 2 Or Apogee Duet

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DOMINIC, Jul 25, 2008.

1. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

What should i go with? I don't feel like spending 500 on the DUET, but if it's worth it. Does the MBOX have good preamps? Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks

2. Griz

Griz Member

It might be well worth it if you're working in Logic or Garage Band. The general buzz seems to be that the Duet's pre's are very clean and have lots of gain and its converters are excellent. I'm thinking of picking one up to use with a MacBook Pro running Logic 8.

No slight against the Mbox; that's supposed to be a good unit too. Don't know if the converters are as good.

:AOK

3. mischultz

mischultz Member

I have both and prefer the Duet/Logic pairing to the MBox/PT. Just sounds cleaner, clearer, stronger to my ear (the analog hardware and converters).

Michael

4. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

5. gitman

gitman Member

iMac /Duet user here - runs without hitches, sounds very nice and is easy to operate. really good bang for the buck. i did however upgrade to a higher end preamp since my nice mics (Gefell/Schoeps) are begging for one (Neve Portico). the converters in the Duet do not need an upgrade.

6. littledreamer

littledreamer Member

The Duet eats the Mbox for breakfast. What it lacks in features makes up 10 fold in quality.

7. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I have a question. I have a Duet and love it. I just wish that there was a "Duet" for PC. Anyone know of a comparable product for the PC line. The Duet is so portable, simplistic, sounds great, etc. Is the MBox the Duet of the PC world?

8. Crikey

Crikey Member

I think the real question here is, do you want to run Pro Tools or do you want to run Logic? To me, the differences in the software are at least as important as the differences in the hardware.

Although you should probably compare the FireWire Mbox Pro against the Duet, rather than the Mbox 2, which is still a USB interface.

I don't have a preference, myself.

Good luck!

Crikey

9. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Both are solid units. However, the Duet is simply a cut above in overall sound quality.

10. lterenzi

lterenzi Member

Just got my apogee last night. Right now just using GB but will be bumping up to Logic Express/Logic soon. Easy setup and incredible sound out of the box. It's like a whole world has opened up for me.

11. RonH

RonH Member

The Apogee Duet is a significant step up from the mbox. The Duet is a great sounding interface and works great paired with Logic or Garageband for that matter.

Ron

12. suckamc

suckamc Member

Not even close. The Duet smokes the Mbox.