Mbox 2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Pointbreakd, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

If you haven't seen it there is now an Mbox 2. Digidesign.com

I'll save you a couple minutes. It's the same as the Mbox 1 but in a different design....

stupid.

ok so it has digital in...but it should have been firewire...

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

See the other thread.

Yeah, it should have been firewire.

3. elambo

elambo Member

You're right. Wow! The M-Box 2 has been anticipated for a long time, but who knew that it would be such a weenie of an upgrade as compared to the first. I'm completely underwhelmed.

I was always disappointed with the sound of the mic pres in the first Mbox - maybe these will be much better??? Time will tell.

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

Or at the very minimum USB 2.0!

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Oh the disappointment!

The thing sells for pretty much exactly what the first M-Box sold for when it came out.

It can use four input sources instead of just two.

It has MIDI instead of no MIDI.

It supposedly has more headroom.

THOSE BASTARDS!! DO THEY TAKE US FOR FOOLS??

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

FWIW I think the preamps and A/D converters in the original M-Box are already pretty darned good. No one should have any problem getting a fine sound with it, up to and including commercial quality. If you can't, it ain't the box's fault.

For about $450 this is very cool way to get up and running.

7. muddy

muddy Member

i was gonna post this last week, but it just pissed me off too much! it's a complete joke as an upgrade, side grade, whatever you wanna call it. it should have been 96k/firewire, and NO EXCUSES! one of the mbox's biggest selling points is the ability to edit & work on sessions done "at the studio" on hd. let's face it, MOST people that work in hd do so at 96k these days! and let's be honest, when most are passing the hd interface's converters, do you REALLY wanna believe that the new mbox's are gonna be improved to anything resembling pro quality? we all figgered out AGES ago that if we wanted good converters, WE'D have to supply 'em. same goes for mic pre's. so why can't digi just give us the BASIC NECESSITIES for a reasonable price, like the competition has now been doing FOR YEARS! it would not have broken the bank to upgrade the mbox to 96k and firewire! no, they just wanna strand their users into giving up & upgrading to their next fiasco, the 002/r!!! so REALLY, what they want to try and impress upon us is that if we want their "pro" shite (which, even THEN forces us to outsource the converters!), we'll bloody well have to shell out over $10,000!!! plus, digi have this wonderful penchant for stranding their customers who bought last year's incarnation WITH NO SUPPORT!!! they continually take miles whilst giving inches in return. what balls these guys have!!!

ml

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I strongly urge you not to buy any product that causes you such distress merely to talk about it.

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Bummer... no firewire! I though for certain this was the direction they were going to take. I wonder what the product managers are thinking over there?

I like the preamps in the orginal Mbox as well... I've had no problems getting a decent sound out of it. Neve or API it is not, and if that's what you're comparing it to then that would be a bit unfair.

10. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I just bought the original MBox at a blowout price. I figured they were upgrading the Mbox but now I see it, it doesn't seem that they've done anything really. So I'm pretty damn happy I bought my Mbox for so cheap - $299 from MF. I think the pres sound pretty good, not great but fine for my needs. It is really easy to record with though and I find myself actually getting stuff done more easily and quickly now. I wasn't going to pay full price but this deal came along and was too good to pass on.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If I was buying new today, for the extra ~$100 I'd go with four rather than two inputs.

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

It's still just 2 inputs if you don't have any SPDIF gear. There is a lot of great softwre in the new bundle, though. I like the idea of a "BFD lite"

13. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

That's what I thought too....It's really only 2 inputs via 1/4 or xlr right?

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Correct. And if you have only one mic cable, it's only one input.

15. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

;)

17. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

come on guys. This was a marketing engineered product. They couldn't put firewire on it because it would eat into sales of their 002 stuff and compete with the m-audio line stuff.

18. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Does anybody know if they're using the Focusrite pre's in the MB2? I see no mention of it anywhere.

In any case, I don't think I'll be running out for it right away - still happy with my MBox (now MBox 1, I guess...)

19. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Sorry, I really don't mean to be picky... :) do you mean 002? (the 001 line has been discontinued for some time)

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Yes, I meant 002.

Thanks.