Mbox alternative for 24/96

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by malabarmusic, Aug 13, 2004.

1. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

The Mbox looks great on paper, but I'm hesitant to commit to something with a max sample rate of 48khz. Yes, I know that every Pro Tools recording until recently got by just fine with this "limitation," but it's 2004 and I'd rather invest in hardware that's in line with current capabilities.

I haven't committed to a platform (PT LE and DP being the leading contenders, with Logic a possibility), and I'm running OSX on a G4.

So ... any suggestions for a good interface in the under $1K category? Thanks in advance.

- DB

2. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Under 1k?

If you look around you can find an 002rfor just under a grand. That's if you want to use Pro Tools.

The MOTU 828MKII is great for DP4. But the drawback is that by the time you buy DP4 it ends up costing MORE than the 002r. Unless you are a DP user and you can just upgrade.

Either of those will gve you 24/96 recording.

-Mike

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I wouldn't recommend Motu for PC. Flakey drivers and poor customer support.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

<koff>

Um... you can't hear a difference between 96K and 48K recordings made on home studio gear on a 16 bit 44 kHz CD. I wouldn't weigh that as a real factor in your decision.

You can always upgrade when you get your first major label production deal.

5. jzucker

It ships with asio drivers so you can use it with other software too.

6. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Yeah, but you get Pro Tools 6LE included for the price. For a comparable piece of software, youre adding $400-$700 for a full non-upgrade version.

7. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Thanks for the reality check, MK. You're 100% right, of course. I've done plenty of high-end studio recording on "old" Pro Tools and, of course, it sounds just dandy on CD.

I may yet end up with MBox, but given that most pro studios are starting to run at higher sample rates, I'd like to have the ability to swap files back and forth without limiting an entire project to 48 kHz. Guitar tracks I record at home may not make a difference, but I think cymbals recorded in a studio will.

- DB

8. jzucker

Latency is the bigger issue than sample rates in my opinion. If you plan on using any real time effects, you can effectively rule out USB since the latency is so high.

9. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Does Firewire take care of this?

- DB

10. jzucker

Yes, pretty much. With a decent firewire interface such as maudio you can get latency down to 2.9-5.8ms assuming a 2gz computer with 1gb of memory.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

They might or might not... but even if they do, the question remains whether anyone outside the studio will ever hear it.

Where the difference - again, if any - comes into play is using very high end D/A conversion on each channel for mixing and summing on a high end analog audio desk, then using equally high end A/D going back again.

If you're mixing in the digital realm then all you're getting for that extra sampling is twice the disk usage.

12. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Have you looked into the EMU 1820M? I'm using one with my DAW and love it so far. Great sound quality w/the high quality A/D converters, nice features and easy to install. Not one problem since I installed in a couple of months ago, and it's a bargin for $500 new when you consider all the features.

13. jzucker

I thought he was looking for a laptop solution?

Before buying an 1820, you should check out this thread:

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=201517

14. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Oh,..didn't catch that he was using a Laptop, sorry.

Not sure what your point is posting that link to the cakewalk forum as I'm not a Sonar user. I've already bought my 1820M and it works great with Samplitude,.....also, most of the responses in the cakewalk forum post seem to be positive with regard to the 1820.

15. jzucker

Just wanted to point out that some users have had issues but that probably applies to any audio device on pcs, anyway...

16. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Laptop? Who said laptop?! Mac G4 running OSX. Thanks for all the input.

- DB

17. Orren

Orren Member

He said he's running OSX on a G4.

Orren

18. Orren

Orren Member

I highly recommend the RME HDSP 9632 card for about $600. You can check it out at http://www.rme-audio.com -- RME is as pro as you can get for under $1000. Its barebones, no preamps, no software, but it's OSX Core Audio drivers are second to none, and it works excellently with any host software (well, not Pro Tools LE which requires Digi hardware, obviously).

Personally, I use one with Logic, and it's a dream. But I also have used it with DP4 and Cubase SX, and it is just as good.

Orren