Mbox/ProTools books?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MalcolmTex, Jul 14, 2006.

1. MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex Member

Hi, I'm a newbie to computer-based recording. Just bought an Mbox and going to set it up this weekend on my PC. Obviously, the tutorial is online, and I'm a "book' kinda guy. I have poked around and there are 8 or 10 books about getting started in ProTools (ProTools for Dummies, etc.) Anyone used any of these books or could recommend one over the other? Thanks in advance!

2. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I used ProTools Ignite - pretty decent.

Other than that, just poke around and learn the ropes through experience.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

There was one called "ProTools Power" a few years ago that was very good for the version out at that time. It may have been updated and worth looking into.

The two sources I found most helpful early on were the printed User Guide and the laminated chart of keyboard shortcuts. The Guide is very well laid out and clear. Once you know how things work the shortcuts are invaluable time savers.

If they still offer a printed version of the Guide (do they?) it's well worth getting, even if it costs a few bucks. PDFs for anything over a few pages are a total pain in the ass, IMO.

4. StevenA

StevenA Member

I consider myself a real Pro Tools moron so the book that has helped me most is Pro Tools for Musicians and Songwriters by Gina Fant-Saez. She spoon feeds you and gives you only as much information as necessary.

Good luck
    Steven

5. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Pro Tools For Dummies is a great "How the f*!k do I do this?!?!?!" Goto. I have a few others as well, but that's the one I grab first.

6. gregit

gregit Member

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Dude, go on EBAY do a search for protool tutorials.... PROTOOLS 101 is the actual first book for actual courseware for protools certification! the groove monkee and groovebox DVD are nice, too!
    If you are a book worm, then simply be sure to have the latest adobe reader 7x and then make an account at digidesign.com if you haven't.... THEN make anaccount at duc.digidesign.com for their REAL protools forum-excellent resource and NICE helpful ppl ! THen go to the digidesign to download the FULL protools LE 7.1 manual -700 pager!! Enough reading for ya? :)

8. MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex Member

Thanks everyone! I'll do all of the above. I'm psyched!