Mbox question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by melondaoust, Jun 9, 2006.

1. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Does anybody know of any "pro" recordings done on an MBox (Great sounding demos/records.)

I'm going to be recording a band using mine (drums done on multitrack elsewhere) and I'm just curious to hear some stuff that was done on Mbox.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I made two live CDs for an Orthodox synagogue of the Sabbath and High Holiday prayers. They sound great; unfortunately they're privately distributed and I can't help you out with sound clips.

On one session for solo readings I used just an AT-4054 straight into the MBox.

On two other sessions with a reader and "chorus" I used a Neumann M149 and a pair of Earthworks SR77s into a Mackie mixer. On one session I ran the Mackie's main outs > Apogee Rosetta > MBox SPDIF input. For the other session I experimented just to satisfy my curiosity, and ran Mackie's main outs > MBox XLR inputs, no Rosetta (this session was made up of a different group of people and was to be on a separate CD from the first, so although I used a very similar setup in the same room, it didn't have to match the first).

I was very happy with all three sessions. The AT-4054 straight into the MBox was perfect, I couldn't have asked for a better sound. Comparing the other two sessions, the tracks with the Rosetta had a slightly more diffuse high end. The mixer was pretty much flat, just a slight low cut on the M149.

So the MBox ought to work fine. What matters is what you use on the front end and how you use it.

3. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Thanks for the reply.

Can you recommend another A/D converter other than the apogee (a little pricey...)

4. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

I've done national recordings and radio jingles with my MBox and MBox 2. Licensing doesn't permit me to show them to you; however, I can vouch for getting good sounds out of the box for little money.

5. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I like these:
    RME ADI-2
    Apogee Mini-ME A/D
    Kurzweil Rumour
    Lucid AD9624

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I've used my Mbox to capture tracks, then brought them into the studio for album use on big HD systems. Totally pro quality on that thing.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Same. It's really very cool.

I suggest waiting on the A/D converter unless the return warrants the investment. It's not going to make a drastic difference. Spend the money on a few good mics instead.

8. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Can you hook up more mic pres to the Mbox 2 to record drums?