mbox, sm57, mac mini, E609 Silver

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wsaraceni, Jul 8, 2005.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

im about to get the mac mini from the free mini mac deal in my sig. thanks to all that helped with that. anyways, im upgrading it to 1 gig of ram, have a digidesign mbox, and have a sm57 and e609.

what else will i need to make good guitar soundclips? I think with just this i should be able to make some good recordings. would anyone suggest something else to add to my setup? maybe an external firewire drive?

thanks

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

External drive is a very good idea. It's rough on the computer to have the audio recording to the same drive as the system & program software. If you get a drive larger than 120 Gigs, partition it (we can thank Scumbag for that advice). If 1G is the maximum memory, great. If not, max it out.

I think MBox comes with DVerb, some delays and EQs and all, so you're in good shape to get started.

3. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Mine came with Amplitube - which is a great guitar amp modeler. Great way to get started on the guitar-tone front. Hope yours came with all of that as well.

Used Amplitube in the latest clip I posted for my lead tones (and friend's rhythm tones). http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90656

Also recommend that you do maintenance on your external drive regularly (permission repairs and such). My external drive sees a lot of action and has had to be reformated a few times as ProTools stopped recognizing it as an audio record volume (LaCie Porsche FW drive). Invest in a Glyph FW drive, as they are made for media work.

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

not really big on amplitube. i spent sooo much on my amp and such...id rather use that. amplitube might be the way to go for night time playing though. never thought fo that.

5. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Do agree that digital modeling is not everybody's cup of tea (I've recorded with a Pod once - hated it!)

Very convenient for the night time playing though. You may also find it useful if the urge to record something at 3AM hits ya.

If it were up to me, I'd use my amp for recording, though I'm not setup for it myself (which is why I us AT for recording at home.)

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

A large condensor mic to go with those dynamics.

If you're just doing single guitar tracks, alone or over a backing track, don't spend all that $ on a glyph drive. It's overkill. OTOH, if you got the $, great. In fact, just recording a single track, you can use a single drive with a single partition. I can record several tracks with plugs on my laptop before it starts getting taxed. The second HD is great for keeping large volumes of audio in one location though. 24 bit audio is a mb hog. The superdrive is cool for checking mixes in the car or home theater.

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

got a suggestion for a condensor mic. Something that can handle a 30 watt bad cat cranked up pretty well. im new to this whole thing. just want to get a good sound. mostly recording over a backing track.

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I use an old Rode NT-1 on amps, mostly because I have one lying around. Plus, I think it's fairly benign or generic or boring, depending on who you ask. It can handle pretty high levels but it doesn't have a pad. If you ask around, you'll get plenty of different answers regarding mics.

This site is pretty cool for hearing different mics on various sources.
    http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/home.htm

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I still say you're fine with what you've got. I use a SM-57, nothing else.