MC403 Power System?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Michael_V, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc403-power-system

I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my Juicebox, which is an incredible power supply but way too big to fit under my Pedaltrain Pro. Don't hear a lot about the MC403. Is there a consensus on it? Any alternatives that will power 14 pedals and fit under a Pedaltrain?

2. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Will the MC403 fit under a Pedaltrain?

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The 403 is an excellent PSU,very underrated and little talked about due to the size of the unit. It's dimensions are: 3.75" x 13.5" x 1.75" and weighs @ 5 pounds. It will fit underneath a pedaltrain but does require minute modifications, mainly the height and clearance issue. But the fix is just replacing or retrofitting a taller profile rubber footing on the pedaltrain.

It can power 16 effects and has an accessory outlet. It is best to chart out your pedals w/ their voltage and mA requirements to determine the best PSU for optimal use. But if you have a need for 18V powering, the 403 has 4 dedicated taps just for 18V applications.

The 403 also has 2 variable voltage taps that can be dialed in to power 6-15V, perfect for TC Electronic and T-Rex effects requiring 12V, along w/ Radial effects that require 15V. It can also power the Eventides w/ their high mA requirements, contrary to the posted mA limits that were conservatively posted. Bob Bradshaw (designer) even stated that fact in the Eventide Forum.

Other PSU, that can power 14 effects are the Cioks DC10. Again, it is best to chart your pedals to see your actual needs, but you will need to daisy chain or utilize "Y" power cables.

4. Michael_V

I just ordered one for $199 shipped. That seems like a fantastic bargain considering this will replace two other power supplies on my board! And it comes with mounting brackets. Sweet.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. jnepo1

It also has a rackmount plate. that might be another alternative to mounting it underneath the Pedaltrain depending on which model you have. If you need to use the accessory outlet on the side of the 403, you will need a male IEC plug. PM me if interested in the plug. Jerry

6. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

where did you see it for 199.99? I've been keeping my eye on these for awhile.

7. Aran

Aran Member

If you jumped on it when they first came out and PGS had em you could get one for $169 as I did. :)

Best power unit ever.

8. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I've never used one of these, but the 14" width seems like it would make a good riser for a back row of pedals to be mounted on top (assuming you're putting the 403 topside).
    Just curious, how is the accessory outlet oriented? It's mounted on one of the sides rather than the front right? If you're looking at it toward the side that the outlet is on, are the blades vertical or horizontal?

9. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

I've got it as well, and can also highly recommend.

10. Michael_V

Here but it looks like I got the last one: http://www.alpha-music.com/.

11. Michael_V

A picture is worth a thousand words: http://www.alpha-music.com/productcart/pc/catalog/654188884517_2XL.jpg.

12. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. Now I get what Jerry was saying about the male IEC plug. I was asking about the outlet with regard to whether you would be plugging in a wall wart horizontally or vertically and if there would be room for it to fit, but looking at this that's not an issue, you wouldn't be able to plug anything directly to the 403 anyway. If you did mount the 403 topside you could of course run the IEC jumper down into the board and plug a wall wart or power strip underneath...

13. jnepo1

I did have 2 of the MC-403s and just recently sold one as I am re-doing one of my boards. I use the accessory outlets in different ways. As Soli528 mentioned, you can use it to plug a power strip into it, but i would prefer to plug the 403 into a power strip as my preference. This way, you can plug in any other wallarts into the power strip as well as the 403 and power down the entire board w/ the on/off switch on the power strip.

I have also plugged in an AC required effects unit into the accessory outlet such as the TC Electronic into it. You can alter the plug of the the effect or you can build/buy a small extension cord and and retrofit a male IEC plug/adaptor at one end to plug into the 403.

As for Bob Bradshaw's thinking in implementing the male IEC into the 403 is for the sake of a more universal acceptance rather than just for the US market. The 403 can be used for 110-220V application.

The 403 does come w/ brackets to mount to a pedalboard for surface or underside mounting. It does also come w/ a rack plate for mounting onto a rack unit and only takes up one space, 1.75". Depending on what pedaltrain you have, the rack mount face plate can also be used to mount the 403 to the underside of the pedaltrain by securing to the legs of the board.

14. jnepo1

The M9 can actually be powered via the 9VAC taps. You would have to use a parallel "Y" power cable and utilize both 9VAC taps to do so, same as for the M13. Or if you choose the accessory outlet, you would need to make a short extension cable or buy an adaptor w/ the male IEC on one end and a 3 prong outlet on the other end to accept the M9's wallwart.

15. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

well I just ordered one last night using the lonely40 proguitarshop code. any tips on modifying the pt-pro feet to accomodate the depth of this guy?

16. muffinman

muffinman Member

thanks for the tip, just ordered one too. can't help you on the pedaltrain though :D

17. jnepo1

Yes, you will need to modify both sets of rubber feet, front and back to compensate for the depth of the 403 unit. Easy fix.

18. jnepo1

Interesting that when they first came out in 2010, I bought them for $189, the introductory price. After a month, the shot up the $199 and eventually $249.

19. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

yep I acknowledged that in my post ;) any suggestions? I know you've had some experience with this unit and I really appreciate all your advice thusfar!

20. jb4674

jb4674 Member

There's tons of space under the Pedaltrain pro. This thing measures 13.5 (W) x 4 (D) x 1.75 (H) inches.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board//showthread.php?t=1005301

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]