1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

MC5 and Stooges fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phil M, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

My new upstart band has decided that a couple of Stooges and MC5 covers would help get the party started. All the fuzzes I've played seem to be this smooth, warm, fat thing, more like Hendrix or something. Theses bands seem to be much more abrasive, the fuzz almost sounds broken, or at least very nasty. I used to have a Foxx Tone Machine and a Fulltone UO that both sort of sounded like that if you switched the octave off.

What else out there gets you into this territory? I currently have a Lovepedal germanium Dragon.

2. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

I am a big fan of Stooges and more recently MC5

So :

- Stooges :

1st album : Flying V into maxed Marshall, with maybe a Superfuzz but I'm not sure ; and Vox Wah

Funhouse : Strat into Marshall with Fuzz Face and Vox Wah

Raw Power : Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 intp maxed AC30 (studio) or Marshall (Live)

- MC5 :

Mosrite (or SG Custom) and Strat into maxed Marshall

Conclusion :

You need :

- a "vintage Marshall" crunch ; if you dont have that kinda amp, losta pedals claim that, I have zvex Box Of Rock, it's very good, maybe they are others peds

- a raspy fuzz face clone ; personnaly, my Fuzz Factory is IMO fine for that, but i'm sure you will have other advices here (I've red that Euthymia Crucible Si. is it)

:cool:

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Hey, thanks. One thing I didn't mention. I more or less get a Marshally or similar tone and I play Les Pauls, so the base sound is there. I'm probably going to use the Les Paul for the whole set, so I really just need to get in the ballpark. I know there are some ugly nasty fuzzes out there and I feel like my Dragon is too "pretty" or creamy sounding. It'll do in a pinch, but I bet there's something better for this app.

4. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Ok, if you already have a Marshall-ish crunch, the more polyvalent agressive fuzz choice could be a Silicon Fuzz Face clone, like the Euthymia Crucible Si

Do a search "euthymia fuzz", there's a "Stooges" clip on his website with a Telecaster (!!! untitled "I wanna be your fuzz") that's IT, he designed the Fuzz with the Stooges as a goal, I think you cannot go wrong

EDIT : http://www.euthymia.org/

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

I actually talked to Erik a couple of years ago. Those look like cool pedals. This would be going on a pedalboard for use with 2 bands--I need the 9v tap.

Silicon is a good clue to get started--I've only ever looked at germanium fuzzes.

6. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Ge are supposed to sound more mellow

Maybe that's not your cup of tea, but the ZVex FF is, I think, made of 2 Ge and 1 Si chips, maybe that explains why they can sound RASPY, and this is good :RoCkIn

the new ones have 9v adaptors + led

Otherwise, check the FoxRox Sillicon Fuzz, maybe :jo (i didnt hear it)

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

FF would be cool, but those are expensive. I was also looking at a Chicago Iron Octavian Plus since that lets you use the fuzz by itself, but the price tag hurts.

Fulltone '70? D.A.M. Meathead?

8. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

You can choose a Vexter FF, less expensive
    I didnt try the others, sorry

not interested in Dave Fox fuzz ?

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

Maybe. I will look at both the FF and and the Fox.

10. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

No other answers ? is it a strictly blues forum ? :confused: ;)

11. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

The Mosrite Fuzzrite & his derivatives make, IMO, great Stooges/ Davie Allen & Arrows/ Count five/ Norman Greenbaum garage-fuzzes... Tym & others are making updated versions, Ed Sanner who invented the Fuzzrite is still making them by the way.

Another school of thought preconizes going easter: the Univox SupaFuzz, Shin-Ei FZ-1 or Ibanez Standard Fuzz & other japs weirdos as used by the Cramps/ Scientists/ Jesus & Mary chains etc... MJM was building a Supa named Chinese Fuzz a few years back that had good rep.

I love them all!:crazy

[​IMG]

12. cameron

cameron Member

For those raspy 60s fuzzes, your options are somewhat limited.

The one I have is the Ashbass FuzzBrite, which is a clone of the Mosrite Fuzzrite. I don't know if that old Mosrite pedal was used by either of the Michigan bands that you mention. The definitive song that capture's the sound of the original Mosrite Fuzzrite is "Blue's Theme" by Davey Allen and The Arrows. It sounds to me like a lot of the fuzz you hear on garage rock records from '66-'67 are probably Mosrites.

Another current option is the Voodoo Labs Superfuzz, which is supposed to be a clone of the Jordan Electronics Bosstone, from '68. I'm not sure what record to point you to as the locus classicus for that effect.

The really harsh nasty fuzzes you hear on many 60s records are probably Maestro Fuzztones. That was the original fuzz box, introduced in '62 and made popular by the success of "Satisfaction" in '65. I don't know of anyone who makes a clone of that device, which is probably a good thing, as they sound awful.

Fuzzes like the Z Vex Fuzz Factory and Lovetone Big Cheese are quite versatile, but can't really capture that 60s fuzz rasp. They start out with more of a Big Muff sound, and then offer various "broken" variants of that.

13. utterhack

utterhack Member

No. But the question's already been answered correctly: Euthymia Crucible Si. Direct flight to "No Fun" city :AOK

No experience with the Big Cheese, so no comment, but it sounds like you've got one very unusual Fuzz Factory on your hands. The "base" FF tone is pretty freakin' far from a Muff. afaik, it's a Fuzz Face-based circuit.

14. utterhack

utterhack Member

Hard to believe he's been gone almost a year now :(

15. 6789

6789 Member

I can't play blues to save my life.

I have never played either of these pedals but from listening to their sample clips, They sound like they might do the job.:

http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/index.html
    D*A*M 1966

http://www.euthymia.org
    Crucible Fuzz
    --------------------------------------------
    I own a FuzzRiot made by VintageFX. is does the Davie Allan Blues Theme fuzz. it sounds best with single notes on the low E string. chords don't do so well. So I don't think it would work for Stooges. It's very similar to a mosrite Fuzzrite or Ashbass Fuzzbright.

They have another pedal i just listened to clips of - the ColorDrive. This pedal might get the Stooges sound going.

www.vintagefx.com

16. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Your comment is inacurate IMO.

"60s fuzz rasp" evoques indeed garage bands and Mosrite and Maestro Fuzzes (think around 1966), BUT MC5 and The Stooges where both artistically and historically ahead of that

That's what my advice was to get a Si FF.

Plus, many of those agressive fuzz tones where even more dramatized by the use of a Vox Wah (Stooges).

17. starfish

starfish Member

+1 Euthymia. I have the ICBM, which is based on the IC version of the Big Muff. This will get you Stooges sounds too and has insane gain and fuzz on tap. This is an alterna-rockers secret weapon (shhh), though metal freaks and hard rockers would cream for this sound. Don't tell 'em - I like sounding different/better than everyone else. :)

18. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

something interesting : Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton, nowadays, stacks 2 OD pedals for his "a la fuzz sounds" : a Reverend Drivetrain into a TS9 (guitars : reverend ; amp : still Marshalls) He still uses a Wah

19. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yeah, "No Fun"!! I used to play that with this same group of guys when we used to be in a band a few years back.

I like the Crucible SI and ICBM suggestions, but would kind of like the power tap. I do have a Visual Sound 1-Spot adapter that will let me use one battery clip. Maybe I could try that.

So ICBM can do Stooges, and then maybe a fatter Smashing Pumpkins or Weezer thing if I change settings? Remember, this pedal will be used on one pedalboard for two different bands. One will be doing Garage/Mod/Who/Stooges and one is more of rock band with some alt. rock thrown in.

20. utterhack

utterhack Member

ICBM is a fierce and mighty muff, but it's a muff, and it's going to sound like a muff. It can get you as close to Stooges as any muff, but it'll definitely be "in the style of...", if that makes sense.

Stooges. Reminds me of something Marv Levy used to say: "It's simple, but it ain't easy."